Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

What can you tell me about my Great Grandfather, Schwenn?

Customer Question
What can you tell...

What can you tell me about my Great Grandfather, Carl Schwenn? Born Lubeck, Germany around 1835; possibly arrived in Melbourne on ship "Undine" 17th Feb 1860; Naturalised 20th Aug. 1904; died July 1923 and buried at Field of Mars Cemetery, Anglican section? Thank you. Mariea Christoforou, Sydney.

Expert's Assistant: I did a little digging into my family history: we have a lot of dead eccentric Brits in our family tree. I hope you find some fascinating characters in yours. Is there anything else important you think the Genealogist should know?

He married a Susannah Rose Allen (born April, 1841/2 in Brixworth Northamptonshire, Eng;died 6th July 1911- buried at Field of Mars Cemetry Ryde, Anglican section. They had 10 children. (8 chn buried at Field of Mars; 2 babies buried at Pioneer Memorial Park, Leichhardt, Sydney. I would also like to know whether their son George Edward Schwenn fought in the Boer War? Supposedly wounded and lived to about 66yrs? I have found no record of his service. Buried at Northern Suburbs Crematorium Niche 90?Was married to Ellen Mood and had 5 chn. Thank you, ***** *****

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Genealogy
9/28/2017
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 7 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

I can answer your last question first. There is no record of anyone named Schwenn who served in the Boer War in any branch of service. I also checked similar spellings of the surname and there was no George or Edward or even a G. or E. who served.

Hello, Mariea,

There was a Carl Theodor Schwenn, born 11 Mar 1836 in Lubeck to Theodor Juergen Diedrich Schwenn and Friederica Sophia Henriette Kempper and baptized there 13 April 1836. He died in Lubeck in 1922. That same couple had Carl Wilhelm Philipp Schwenn 05 Feb 1839.

Someone has posted on ancestry.com that a Johann Frederick Carl Schwenn was born 13 May 1836 to Johann Christian Schwenn and his wife Eliza (no maiden name given). Another person states that his parents were Frederick and Eliza. Both allege that he is the one who married Susannah Rose Allen. I did not find any record in Lubeck or anywhere else in Germany to confirm either allegation.

Do you have their marriage record from 1865? They often list the parents' names. If you don't, you can order it from the NSW Justice BMD. It is registration number 1133/1865

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?8

There was a J. C. Schwenn, age 50 (born about 1805) who arrived on the Undine in January 1855. That same person (who was from Lubeck) was also on the Undine in 1854. Could that be Johann Christian Schwenn? The Sands Directory for 1861 lists a John C. Schwenn on Union Street in Balmain. In 1867 the same directory has Carl Schwenn living on Stephen Street and Eliza Schwenn living on Union Street in Balmain. This makes me think that J. C. and Eliza were Carl's parents.

As for arrivals from Hamburg, there was a Th. Schwenn, age 19 (born about 1841) departing Hamburg for Melbourne on the on the Boreas 18 Aug 1860. His occupation was listed as sailor and he was from the town of Sahrendorf in Schleswig Holstein.

Wilhelm Schwenn (a businessman) and Andrew Schwenn (a shoemaker) both from Sahrendorf, departed Hamburg on the ship Java

06 May 1854. Andrew is known to have gone to Victoria where he is listed in several places as a shoemaker or bootmaker.

Unless the marriage record specifies the names of Carl's parents, there is no way to prove who they were. However, circumstantial evidence points to Johann Christian and Eliza.

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist