Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I see relations have asked questions of my ancestors, Does…

Customer Question
I see relations have...

I see relations have asked questions of my ancestors

Expert's Assistant: I did a little digging into my family history: we have a lot of dead eccentric Brits in our family tree. I hope you find some fascinating characters in yours. Please tell me everything you can so the Genealogist can help you best.

Does James Bayne father of Alexander Bayne are part of the Tulloch line due to the spelling 'Bayne'

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Genealogist should be aware of?

They came to New Zealand, they lived in Perthshire but did they originate from Dingwall

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Genealogy
9/16/2017
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 11 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

You wrote: "...Does James Bayne father of Alexander Bayne are part of the Tulloch line due to the spelling 'Bayne'...."

Spelling had little to do with anything until about 1900 onward. Sometimes brothers in the same family spelled their surname differently.

Can you tell me more about James and Alexander Bayne, such as approximately when they were born, who they married, etc. since it is very difficult to research anything with just a name.

There were no fewer than seven Alexander Baynes born to fathers named James in Perthshire - none of them in Dingwall. It isn't possible to research every one of them, so please provide some more information.

So sorry for the misunderstanding. Your question was "...Does James Bayne father of Alexander Bayne are part of the Tulloch line due to the spelling 'Bayne'..."

According to the church records, James Bayne, son of Alexander Bayne and Mary Whyte was baptized 21 Feb 1768 in Powmiln (Muthill parish). His date of birth is given as 14 Feb 1768.

Alexander Bayne of Trinitie Gask and Mary Whyte were married 19 Aug 1765 in Muthill parish by "Mr. Scott."

Alexander Bayne was baptized 06 Apr 1737 in Muthill, he son of John Bayne and Janet McLeish.

That is where published records stop.

The last of the Bains of Tulloch were born in the early 1720s in Dingwall. There is no known connection between them and the Baynes of Muthill. (See: Lawrence, Alfred John: The Clan Bain and Its Ansestral and Related Scottish Clans, 1963)

Thank you for this do you have any further information for the Bayne family that were in Muthill Perthshire region. Including any reason why they may have come to New Zealand? Did they originate from another region or records only show Muthill? do you know their occupation? wealth status and religion?

The earliest record of your particular Bayne family in Muthill is the baptism of Alexander Bayne 06 Apr 1737. The Bains of Tulloch castle go back to the 15th century, but there is no information on your Baynes prior to 1737, close to 300 years later.

Bayne was a common name in Perthshire (and other areas including Caithness, East Lothian, Clyth, Galloway, and other areas of Scotland). Most were not interconnected. The derivation of Bain/Bayn/Bayne just meant "fair" so anyone with fair hair and/or skin could have taken that as a surname. The original Bain actually had the surname Mackay and many of them who emigrated elsewhere took that original surname rather than Bane/Bain/Bayne.

Most people came to New Zealand or Australia to make a better life for themselves. Large families were common and the land could support only so many people. Unlike in Australia, the charter for New Zealand specified no convicts would be accepted, although some youngsters (some as young as 12) who had been pardoned by the Crown were sent to New Zealand in the 1840-1850 era. None of them were named Bain/Bayne, etc.

Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 10 months ago

Here are all the questions you asked:

1. "...Does James Bayne father of Alexander Bayne are part of the Tulloch line due to the spelling 'Bayne'..."

2. "...do you have any further information for the Bayne family that were in Muthill Perthshire region. Including any reason why they may have come to New Zealand?..."

3. "...Did they originate from another region or records only show Muthill? do you know their occupation? wealth status and religion?..."

The earliest record of your Bayne family was 1737, so there is no way to tell if they had always lived in the Muthill area or not. In the 1841 census James Bayne was listed as an agricultural labourer. He married Dinah Murray (widow of Andrew Christie) in 1816 and had children Janet, Peter, Jean, and John Bayne. It was Peter who married ***** ***** and eventually went to New Zealand. They were Church of Scotland.

Alexander's parents may have been John Bayne and Janet McLeish. They had a son named Alexander baptized 06 Apr 1737 in Muthill. The film lists it as "Episcopal Church, Muthill, Perth." That would be Church of Scotland though.