Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I have spent a number of years researching my g, g, great…

Customer Question
I have spent a...

I have spent a number of years researching my g, g, great g'father Zephaniah F. Poston as to who his parents were. He was b. in SW VA Washington or Smyth County in 1794 or 96. Supposedly son of Some say Richard and ***** ***** Poston or Richard and Isabella Poston. I have no proof that any of them were his parents. However, he is listed with Richard Poston's brother William on a tax or tithables lists and also on the list closely also Hatch Dent Poston. Richard and Anne Campbell Poston are said to have as many as 6 sons together but Governor Campbell of Virginia, cousin of Anne Campbell Poston and her brother General Wm. Campbell, says in a letter about their family history wrote that Richard and Ann had only 1 son. The odds are against that son being my g g great grandfather Zephaniah. From my studies on the subject these accounts about Richard and Anne and Richard and Isabella Whitley were both guesstamations. Sadly, I have read that Richard and Isabella died in the poor house. I think Zeph was probably raised up by William. He seemed to be doing okay dueing the years of his youth and was fairly prosperous in the state of Alabama and later Tennessee. He was a slave hold at one time, and yet amazingly, his two sons John L. and Wily fought for the Union side in the Civil War. John L. recruited his own company of Union Soldiers. They were captured and taken to Andersonville Prision Camp in GA. Wiley died and is buried there. It is very disappointing to not know for sure who his parents were. Is there any more recent finding on the subject of my ancestor?

Expert's Assistant: I did a little digging into my family history: we have a lot of dead eccentric Brits in our family tree. I hope you find some fascinating characters in yours. Is there anything else the Genealogist should be aware of?

This is my biggest concern at the present. I have had very satisfactory results on my other ancestoral lines.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Genealogy
9/15/2017
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 11 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

It sounds like you have done a lot of work on this line. As you know, unless there are baptismal records, it is very difficult to sort out children whose father has the same name. I will look and see if there is anything out there that will prove it one way or the other.

I can appreciate your comment about guesstimates. With all the misinformation floating about on ancestry.com and other sites, it makes it more difficult for serious researchers to do their work.

Okay, one small detail solved. Richard Poston was married twice - to ***** ***** who died in 25 Dec 1796 (Smyth Co., VA) and then to Isabella Whit(e)ley (18 Apr 1805). Given the dates of the marriages versus Zephaniah's birth date, we can rule out Isabella as his mother.

Sorry to take so long, but I wanted to visit the Library of Virginia to see if there was anything there that might help. Sadly, after spending the day there yesterday, there was nothing that would shed more light on your Zephaniah.

From the posting above this, if the people online are correct in assuming Zephaniah was the son of Richard Poston, then Zephaniah would be the son of ***** *****, since Richard didn't marry Isabella until 1805, about 10 years after Zephaniah was born.

However, I found no baptism record or other record confirming who his parents were.