A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
3157612

I am intrigued with getting my DNA tested to show ancestry.

Customer Question

I am intrigued with getting my DNA tested to show ancestry. What do you think, worth it? Very informative, or just guessing? Which is best company to have it done?
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

If you want to get this done, the cheapest testing is under $100, while better tests are in the $200 to $300 ball park.

However, and this is a BIG however, it does NOT do your family tree for you. The cheap ones just tell you that you are possibly 25% African, 25% Scandanavian, etc. Others give more information, but they do NOT tell you who your great-grandparents, great-great-grandparents, etc. were. So if what you want to determine is your family tree, then you will need to do the genealogy research.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Which DNA test is the cheapest?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What are your top three free ancestry sites for tracking the family? Or, is there such a free site?

Cheapest isn't best. FamilyTreeDNA has one for just $79. Others start at $99 (AncestryDNA) and go upward from there.

The largest free family search site is www.familysearch.org. The other free ones aren't worth the time you spend looking at them. Occasionally ancestry.com will offer a free 2-week trial.

Just be sure to ignore all the things that are put online by other "researchers." I've seen too many cases of 4 year-old girls giving birth and grandsons fathering their grandfathers. So by all means use their records (censuses, etc), but ignore the other stuff.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~