Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

Trace a family of 5 (1 girl) New Jersey orphans, (mother

Customer Question
alive at the time) put...
Trace a family of 5 (1 girl) New Jersey orphans, (mother alive at the time) put into state / Catholic care system shortly after 1914. Would like to know where and with whom, (one was placed with a family in Woodbridge, NJ.) they were place.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Genealogy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Family name McCarthy
*****, *****, Joseph, (age @4),Mike, Anna, William
Most if not all born in Kearny NJ
Joseph P. placed with farm family in Woodbridge NJ
Ann(Anna) may have been with the Sisters of the Good Shepherd NJ
Father: Michael McCarthy born Limerick IR, died NJ 1914
Mother : Alice (Alicia) Daly, born Limerick IR
10/12/2016
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 1 year ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Do you know the birth dates of the children?

Have you contacted the Sisters of the Good Shepherd for information?

As you know, adoption records are sealed. So are foster care records. You would need to petition the courts for additional information.

I did find these children in the 1920 census, both in Hopewell, Cumberland Co., NJ, but there is no way to tell if they are the correct McCarthy children that you are looking for.

Name: Michael Mccarthy
[Micheal Mccarthy]
Age: 12
Birth Year: abt 1908
Birthplace: New Jersey
Home in 1920: Hopewell, Cumberland, New Jersey
Street: Dutch
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Adopted Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: New Jersey
Mother's Birthplace: New Jersey
Able to Speak English: Yes
Occupation: None
Attended School: Yes
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
James P Earnest 35
Luce Earnest 32
James Earnest 2
[3 2/12]
Michael Mccarthy 12 (adopted son)

Joseph Mcarthey
[Joseph Mcarthy]
Age: 15
Birth Year: abt 1905
Birthplace: New Jersey
Street: Dutch Neck Road
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Adopted Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: New Jersey
Mother's Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Able to Speak English: Yes
Occupation: None
Attended School: No
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas H Uhland 62
Mary Uhland 62
James G Uhland 23
George Uhland 30
Margret Uhland 25
Joseph Mcarthey 15 (adopted son)
Andrew Callas 14

I hope this might be two of them, but there is no way to trace the others with information available to the public.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Do these look like the people you are seeking?

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist