Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

Do you have a record of ***** ***** Hill serving as head

Customer Question
game-keeper at Chatsworth House in...
Do you have a record of ***** ***** Hill serving as head game-keeper at Chatsworth House in the 1800's?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Genealogy
4/7/2016
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 1 year ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Hello, Do you know when in the 1800s he might have been employed at Chatsworth? How about his dates of birth and death? As you may know, there were lots of ***** *****s in Derbyshire. Best regards, Schuyler~
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, no dates available. Probably around 1875. His parents lived at Poplar Farm, Brisley, Notts., which might appear on his employment record. If no luck, we will make further enquiries at this end.
Thanks. Do you know who his parents were? Best regards, Schuyler~
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have no further information unfortunately. Are you able to assist ? There cannot have been many people called ***** ***** Hill employed at Chatsworth House as head gamekeeper in the mid-late 1800's.
Regards
John Luke
Hello again, The problem is that there is no list of employees of Chatsworth House through the years. I was hoping to find him in a census. I will look now that you say he was perhaps employed there in possibly 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, or 1891. There were more than two dozen people named ***** ***** or ***** ***** in Derbyshire during the second half of the 1800s. Even several named ***** ***** Hill. With no birth or death date, no marriage information, no children, or even when he may or may not have worked at Chatsworth House in any capacity, it is a formidable task to try to find any more information. As for "assisting" it depends on what you mean. I am researching and will spend several more hours working on it. However, there may be no information, or he may in fact never have worked at Chatsworth House There is no way to determine if he was there until I work on finding him. Best regards, Schuyler~
Hello again, I've checked all the censuses for Derbyshire for 1851 through 1911 and there was no William, Thomas, or ***** ***** listed as being employed as a gamekeeper anywhere in the shire. Chatsworth House owns the records going back to before 1600. However, they have never been published. You would need to seek permission from the Chatsworth Settlement Trustees to view the records. In the censuses, there were farm laborers, barbers, veterinarians, lead miners, coal miners, blacksmiths, brick manufacturer, book keepers, butchers, grocers, railway workers - all named William or ***** *****, but no gamekeeper at all. I'm sorry there's no record in any of the databases. Best regards, Schuyler~
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry to have troubled you. I understood you had access to Chatsworth House staff information. I will make enquiries direct probably.
John C Luke
Hello again, Mr. Luke, I'm sorry you were misinformed about what Chatsworth House has released to the public. After a careful search of several hours there was no mention of such a person being employed in any of the censuses as a Gamekeeper anywhere in Derbyshire. I would appreciate a positive rating for my work, since that is the only way I am paid. Best regards, Schuyler~
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My only interest in the matter is to establish if ***** ***** Hill was employed at Chatsworth House as head gamekeeper at some point during the mid-late nineteenth century. Examination of the old census reports seems an unlikely source of this information and as you do not have access to Chatsworth House records I am no further forward. I believe my original enquiry was unambiguous and will await your observations.John Luke
Hello, I'm sorry you seem to think that the census is a long shot. Actually it is a very sound and forthright way of determining what any person was doing in any given census year used by genealogists worldwide. As I noted, there is no record of anyone being a gamekeeper. NO ONE has access to Chatsworth House records except the Trustees. I'm sorry you made a bad assumption about that. Had you had any more information it might have been possible to learn more about the man. However, with no birth or death dates, no marriage, no children, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. No one can learn anything with just a name. As I told you there were at least two dozen men of the same name in the area at the same time. I cannot spend any more unpaid time working on this. I wish I could work magic, but all I can do is the research for which I am unpaid without your positive rating. I would suggest if you cannot petition the Chatsworth House trustees yourself for permission to view the employment records (which is unlikely to be forthcoming since they will not want amateurs touching rare artifacts) that you hire a genealogist in Derbyshire. You can find one at www.progenealogists.com. You can expect to pay about $75 per hour with a retainer of several hours paid front. This assures that they will be paid for their work even if no record of ***** ***** Hill is found. Best regards, Schuyler~
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist