Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I am trying to find information on my grandfather Karl

Customer Question
Hi I am trying to...
Hi I am trying to find information on my grandfather Karl Hermann Keil from Halle Germany. We do not have a birth date. He married Gertrud Dlubeck and lived in Halle. They had two sons Gerhard Keil (b. 30/03/1936) & Horst Keil (b. 08/05/1935 d.28/06/53). The parents separated when Gerhard was about 8 years old. We have no info of him after this, except he was in a new relationship. Gerhard moved to Australia at age 24 where he now lives. Any info appreciated on and/or how I best discover info. Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Genealogy
3/17/2016
Genealogy Expert: Shirley, Genealogy Consultant replied 2 years ago
Shirley
Shirley, Genealogy Consultant

Hello Joanne,

I will do my best to locate an answer to your question.

I will reply when I have finished my research.

Thank you,

Shirley

Hello Joanne,

Civil Registration was established in 1875 for the whole of Germany after its unification.

From 1 January 1876 every town of any size had to have a Standesamt (registry office) of its own, and these were

grouped under a local Standesamt to which they were responsible.

Every city of any size possesses its own archives and every Province or Land its Staatsarchiv.

Generally speaking, the southern kingdoms were Catholic and the northern Protestant and the Protestants were

divided between Lutheran and Reformed churches.

The area of your search needs to be narrowed. Searching in Halle, Germany is like searching in Kentucky, U.S.A.

A search of Gerhard's immigration records produced a passenger list but, it does not give a home town. At this point,

you need to locate Gerhard.

On the passenger list C.I.C. Bonegilla is given as his destination. You will find a very informative article about this place

at the following web address http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/somuchsky/.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,

Shirley

Thanks Shirley, My Dad Gerhard lives in the same city as me so I can get info from him. Gerhard's home where he lived with his parents was 33-34 Ulrichstr, Halle (Saale). Hopefully this may be of help.
Due to Gerhards Dad leaving the family for another women, all ties were lost. Dad was not allowed to have contact with his Dad Karl. We have always wondered if Karl had remarried and if Dad has step brothers or sisters. It is Dad's 80th birthday next week and I keen to find any info on his Dad Karl for him. Any info on Karl would be greatfully appreciated. Regards Joanne

Hello Joanne,

Thank you for the additional information.

I will reply after I have finished my research.

Thank you,

Shirley

Hi Joanne,

I have located a marriage record for a Hermann Keil. I cannot say for certain that this is the person

you are seeking, but the dates fit.

Baden, Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1502-1985

Name: Hermann Keil

Gender: Male

Event Type: Heirat (Marriage)

Birth Date: 30 Aug 1915

Marriage Date: 1 Jul 1944

Marriage Place: Karlsruhe, Baden (Baden-Wurttemberg), PreuBen (Germany)

Father: Hermann Keil

Mother: Wilhelmine Keil

Spouse: Liselotte Gertrud Paula Schucker

Parish as it Appears: Karlsruhe

Page Number: 267;268

Custodian: Evangelische Landeskirche Baden (Germany)

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Shirley

Hello Joanne,

If you have not done so already, please rate my services.

Thank you,

Shirley

Shirley
Shirley
Shirley, Genealogy Consultant