Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

I would love to know why he was awarded the medals and where…

Customer Question
Hi Brendan, I would love to...
Hi Brendan,
I would love to know why he was awarded the medals and where - are you able to answer for me, please.
It is so nice to "speak" to you again, our last conversations were 3 years ago re my husband's grandfather, John Robert Strange and you gave me great help, thank you.
I look forward to hearing from you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Genealogy
2/29/2016
Genealogy Expert: Brendan Joseph, Consultant replied 2 years ago
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant

Hello there,

According to his Navy record, he was in the navy fighting the germans.

He was awarded the two following medals according to his record:

The 1914-15 Star

Established in December 1918.

Also known as 'Pip'.

This bronze medal was authorized in 1918. It is very similar to the 1914 Star but it was issued to a much wider range of recipients. Broadly speaking it was awarded to all who served in any theatre of war against Germany between 5th August 1914 and 31st December 1915, except those eligible for the 1914 Star. Similarly, those who received the Africa General Service Medal or the Sudan 1910 Medal were not eligible for the award.

Like the 1914 Star, the 1914-15 Star was not awarded alone. The recipient had to have received the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. The reverse is plain with the recipient's service number, rank, name and unit impressed on it.

An estimated 2.4 million of these medals were issued.

The British War Medal, 1914-18

Established on 26th July 1919.

Also known as 'Squeak'.

The silver or bronze medal was awarded to officers and men of the British and Imperial Forces who either entered a theatre of war or entered service overseas between 5th August 1914 and 11th November 1918 inclusive. This was later extended to services in Russia, Siberia and some other areas in 1919 and 1920.

Approximately 6.5 million British War Medals were issued. Approximately 6.4 million of these were the silver versions of this medal. Around 110,000 of a bronze version were issued mainly to Chinese, Maltese and Indian Labour Corps. The front (obv or obverse) of the medal depicts the head of George V.

The recipient's service number, rank, name and unit was impressed on the rim.

Brendan

Hello there,

If you are happy with my research please mark the question as answered.

Brendan

Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant