Genealogy

Genealogy questions? Ask a genealogist for answers ASAP

How can I find church records ancestor born in

Customer Question
How can I find church...
How can I find church records for my ancestor born in Freibreitunger, thuringia in 1682?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Genealogy
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2016
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 2 years ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

If the LDS does not have the church records, they probably no longer exist. If they do exist you would need to check for them in the archives in Frauenbreitungen/Breitungen, in Meiningen, or in the capital Erfurt. If you cannot travel there, you can find excellent genealogists at www.apgen.org. Fees typically are around $75 per hour with a retainer equivalent to several hours' work. They are paid whether the records exist or not.

Sadly, this area was in the Soviet occupation zone at the end of WWII. They carted off truckloads of civil and church records to Russia, and they have never been returned.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Hello, Meriel,

By the way, I checked all databases, not just LDS. There are no records for either of them.

Was there anything you didn't understand about the answer? I will be happy to explain it for you. If not, I would appreciate a positive rating since that is the only way I am paid for my services.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~