Shirley
Shirley, Genealogy Consultant
Experience:  Help with your Genealogy and Family History research.
69545677

I am looking parents of Effie Bond Speller Small, once

Customer Question

I am looking for the parents of Effie Bond Speller Small, once married to Tom Small and Robert Speller. It is presumed that her parents are Luke Bond and Amanda Speller but I am unsure. They resided in Ind***** *****s,Bertie County, NC.
Category: Genealogy
Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

I will do everything I can to locate an answer to your question.

Do you know when or where Effie was born, or when or where she married?

In ordeer to perform a search that will reveal promising results, it helps to know the where and when of the incident. Any other information you have on Effie would be helpful also.

I will do some preliminary research while I wait for your reply.

Thank you,

Shirley

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Effie Louise Bond was born on August 10, 1853. She has 10 children with Robert Speller and one child with Thomas Small. She died having lived for more than 100 years. She died on April 8, 1958, in Windsor, North Carolina, at the age of 104.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this has the exact area (attachment).
Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your patience.

Despite the seemingly abundance of information the has been proliferated online, I believe an error has been made.

Please keep in mind that all of the research done on Just Answer is done online.

Anyway, here is what I have..

1870 United States Federal Census

Louisa Bond, black, born about 1856 in North Carolina. Living in Windsor, Bertie, North Carolina.

Father is Benjamin Bond age 57, mother Jane is 47,siblings Watson is 16, Mariah is 21, Lovey is 4, and Louisa is 14.

1880 United States Federal Census

Effy Bond age 30, black, born in North Carolina. Living in Whites, Bertie, North Carolina.

Father and Mother were both born in North Carolina. She is working as a house keeper and she is single.

North Carolina Death Certificate for Effie Bond and Tom Small's son Fred.

Fred was born May 5, 1861 in Bertie County, North Carolina and died Dec 26, 1955 in Robersonville, Martin County, North Carolina, at the age of 94.

His spouse's name was Lilia.

Then you have L. Bond, Louisa Speller, Effie Bond. This person or persons were born abt 1853 in North Carolina. Louisa Speller born Sep 1854 married Elisah Speller in 1868. Then we are back with Effie Bond who married Robert Speller about 1868. Robert and Elisah could be the same person.

I do not believe the person who married Tom Small is the same person who married Robert Speller.

I do believe the parents of the person who married Tom Small are Benjamin and Jane Bond.

Thank you,

Shirlwy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I'm still a bit lost though. My great grandmother's father was John/Johnnie/Johnny C. Speller who was the son of Robert Speller (son of Thomas Speller and Effie Bond (Small) Speller. From what I gather she married Tom Small (an Indian) first then he left with his tribe and she married Robert. Do you think that may be incorrect? What did you see to make you think that may not be the same person? I appreciate this extensive research conducted so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know where Luke Bond and Amanda Speller come in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! If Fred was born in 1961, then Louise/Louisa may have not been his mother. Also I saw Elisha and Robert aren't the same person as evidenced on this census with Robert and Elisha on it.
Expert:  Shirley replied 1 year ago.

I will delve into this a little deeper. I do this because I enjoy the research.

I find this case very interesting and look forward to solving this puzzle.

However, I would ask that you allow me, at most, until Sunday to submit an answer to you.

My sister passed away two days ago and we are having a wake today.

Thank you,

Shirley

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shirley, I am sorry for your loss. May you find strength in the good times shared with your sister. I'm in no rush (just a hobby) for the information.