Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

I am searching Flynn .Cobh Cork 1833, a famine orphan sent

Customer Question
I am searching for Ellen...
I am searching for Ellen Flynn b .Cobh Cork 1833, a famine orphan sent to Australia, 1849 on the Elgan. Possibly had 2 brothers, 1 sister. That's all I know prior to her Austral***** *****fe.
Surly somewhere there must be some records of these orphan girls. Noel Faber
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Genealogy
8/24/2015
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 2 years ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to try to help you.
Do you have a precise date of birth, or only that she was 16 when she arrived in 1849? There were several girls named Ellen Flynn born in Cork in 1833.
Thanks,
Schuyler
~
No. We have only that she was sixteen when she came to Australia and that she was 18 when married and 73 when she died.
Cobh is mentioned as a possible birth place in a publication about the famine orphans.
Thanks, Noel,
A couple of folks in the Bartlett family who have also researched her family give her date of birth as 18 July 1833. There was only one Ellen Flyn(n) baptised on that date. If this is your Ellen, she was the daughter of William Flynn and Margaret McGrath. Baptism sponsors were Daniel McGrath and Ann Waldon and the location was Mitchelstown parish in Co. Cork.
There is no record of the death of William and Margaret available though. Death records for the most part are not available. There is no census available in Ireland until 1901. All censuses prior to that were lost in a catastrophic fire in the Easter Uprising. I did not find any information on a passenger record to indicate either her town of birth, or her parents.
If this is the correct family, her siblings were Michael (1823), Ellen (1824-bef 1833), Margaret (1828), and William (1832).
While it might seem that there should be more information, that isn't the case. Information from that era was sketchy to begin with, not all church records have survived, and the censuses were lost.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Thankyou. I only said Cobh as that was the tentative birth given by the Irish Famine Memorial records in Sydney.
It could well have been where she was "shipped' from.
I find it hard to believe that there are no records available, either of the poor houses or the Earl Grey scheme.
Noel Faber
I do not know where my Bartlett cousins got the date 18th July from. I have heard it myself but there is not one document that I am aware of that gives an exact DOB.
In the previous answer do you mean that that Ellen of Mitchelstown was born 1824 or that she was born before 1833.
I'm sorry you are having difficulty believing there are no records, but that is the case. Here is the record of Ellen Flynn's arrival on the Elgin in 1849. This is the only information from the Earl Grey scheme about her:
http://www.irishfaminememorial.org/en/orphans/database/?surName=flynn&firstName=&age=0&nativePlace=&parents=&religion=0&ship=4
If any poorhouse records survive, they have never been transposed and put online. You would need to travel to Cork and check out the archives for microfilmed copies of the records.
I'm sorry you find this so difficult to believe, but it is true.
"....In the previous answer do you mean that that Ellen of Mitchelstown was born 1824 or that she was born before 1833..."
What I meant is that the *first* daughter they named Ellen was baptised in 1824, and she died before your Ellen was born in 1833. Recycling of names when a child died in infancy was quite common.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Apoligies. I do actually believe that the records are unavailable. Perhaps I should have worded differently.
There must be records somewhere. The British were great record keepers, but for some reason their records regarding certain aspects of the famine and its consequences have not been released. Perhaps even today the information remains too sensitive.
Yes, the British were great record keepers, but these things happened in Ireland where the records have been lost. Censuses routinely listed occupants of all hospitals, poorhouses, etc. However, there are no censuses surviving in Ireland until the one in 1901.
In the USA we had a loss of just one census - the one in 1890 - and it causes huge difficulties for anyone researching their genealogy. You can imagine how difficult it is in Ireland, where they lost 7 censuses covering 70 years. It was a national tragedy.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Good morning, Noel,
I checked the catalog of what is still in existence on paper or microfilm at the Cork Archives. There are no records of inmates from August 1842-March 1848. There is only a fragment from March 1848- September 1850. If there is anything still in existence for Ellen Flynn, it would be found in this fragment. The records are only available on microfilm and only at the Archives. Here is the reference you will need:
Workhouse: Inmates 1840 – 1925 (45 items)
BG/69/G/ Indoor Relief Registers
Scope and Content:
Records details of persons admitted into and discharged from the workhouse.
Details include: register number, name and surname of pauper, previous register
number, sex (the column generally used for the name of admitting officer), age,
Adult ‐ Marital Status (single/married/widowed; Child ‐ whether orphan,
deserted or bastard, employment or calling (such as labourer, ex‐soldier,
servant, seaman, tailor etc) , religious denomination, description of disability if
any, name of wife or husband, observations on condition of pauper when
admitted (such as, ‘bad’ , and ‘returned from fever hospital’) , electoral division
and townland in which resident, date when admitted or when born in the
workhouse; date when died or left the workhouse.
Such as, ‘26639, O’Connell, Daniel ; (admitted by) Master, age 73, Married,
Shoemaker, Roman Catholic, Note from Dr. Keating, Goggins Hill Ballinhassig,
admitted 17 May 1918, died 19 May 1918.(BG69/G/34)
Date: Mar 1840 – Nov 1923
Level: Series
Extent: 31 vols.
Access: Accessed on microfilm.
Finding Aids: 13 of the volumes have associated Index books, see BG69/GX
Related Material: BG69/GX
1. Missing
2. 8 Mar 1840 – 18 Aug 1842
3. Missing
4. Missing
5. Mar 1848 – Sept 1850 (Fragment only)
6. 19 Nov 1850 – 27 Jan 1852
7. 25 Feb 1852 – 25 Mar 1853
8. 26 Mar 1853 – 13 Nov 1854
9. 13 Nov 1854 – 4 May 1857
10. Missing
11. Missing
12. 17 Jan 1862 – 18 Oct 1864
Cork Board of Guardians IE CCCA/BG/69 Page 42 of 46
© Cork City and County Archives 2010 All Rights Reserved Page | 42
13. 28 Apr 1865 – 9 Jul 1867
14. 26 Aug 1867 – 9 May 1869
15. 7 Dec 1869 – 10 Mar 1873
16. 10 Mar 1873 – 5 Sept 1876
17. 5 Sept 1876 – 6 Aug 1879
18. 6 Aug 1879 – 23 Mar 1881
19. 30 Mar 1881 – 15 Dec 1882
20. 16 Dec 1882 – 25 Nov 1884
21. Missing
22. Missing
23. 9 Jan 1888 – 28 Feb 1891
24. 2 Sept 1891 – 31 Dec 1891 (Fragment only)
25. 30 Jul 1894 – 4 Jan 1897
26. 5 Jan 1897 – 29 Mar 1899
27. 26 Mar 1899 – 18 Sept 1899
28. 13 Sept 1900 – 27 Dec 1902
29. 27 Dec 1902 – 13 Sept 1905
30. 13 Sept 1905 – 11 Oct 1908
31. 12 Oct 1908 – 12 Sept 1911
32. 12 Sept 1911 – 15 Jul 1914
33. 18 Jul 1914 – 13 Jan 1918
34. 14 Jan 1918 – 17 Sept 1920
35. Missing
36. 17 Sept 1921 – 2 Nov 1922
37. 2 Nov 1922 – 20 Nov 1923
If you cannot go to Cork, you can find competent reseachers at www.progenealogists.com. Typical fees are about $75 per hour. Most will charge a retainer equivalent to several hours work. They are paid whether the information exists or not.
I hope they will find something substantial about your Ellen Flynn.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist