Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

I met a cousin online through dna testing on ancestry.com.

Customer Question
The confusion is how are...
I met a cousin online through dna testing on ancestry.com. The confusion is how are we related. She has a little more knowledge on gathering information on the family tree than I do so I wanted to consult with a professional geneologist for clarification.
My cousin said, she is related through my great grandmother on my Mother's side. She said my great grandmother is her 2x great aunt. What category of cousins would we be related? :)4th cousin? We are also only 4 years apart but she said I would be a cousin
removed x 2 or 3, would that be correct?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Genealogy
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/20/2015
Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 2 years ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Sadly, there isn't enough information provided to tell what relation you are.
Seoond cousins share great-grandparents, but not grandparents. Third cousins share great-great grandparents.
You would need to know this person's ancestry going back to at least her great grandparents to calculate accurately.
All the best,
Schuyler
~

If you have the information from your "cousin" and from yourself, I will be glad to calculate the relationship for you.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist