Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

Great Great Grandfather. Frederick Herbst. Born Bavaria 1822

To United States 1846...
Great Great Grandfather. Frederick Herbst. Born Bavaria 1822 To United States 1846 ? Killed battle of Fredericksburg Va. 1862. Where washe born in Bavaria ? Parents Etc.
11/5/2013
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant

Hello there,

Thank you for using JA, I will research your question, I have enough information for the moment.

Brendan

Will wait for you reply. Thanks Bill

Hi Bill,

I will be with you shortly.

Brendan
Hi Bill,

Which of Frederick's children do you descend from? is it Albert

Brendan

Yes Albert Was my fathers Grandfather. Alberts dob 10/1859

My father Ronald Frederick Herbst dob 12/1912

Hi Bill,

I have spent a few hours on your question, Frederick was from Bayern, Bavaria, he emigrated through New Orleans 1853, he is listed with a Catherine and two other people.

Listed with Frederick was Catherine age 21, Carl age 11 and Johanna age 31

There address is given as Bavaria, I do not know if the XXXXX XXXXXsted

was Frederick's wife or sister. Frederick's wife was Catherine who was born in Scotland

New Orleans, Passenger Lists, 1813-1945 about Friedch Herbsty
Name: Friedch Herbsty
[Friederich Herbst]
Arrival Date: 20 May 1853
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Age: 32
Birth Date: abt 1821
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Le Havre, France
Ship Name: Clinton

1860 United States Federal Census about Frederick Herbst
Name: Frederick Herbst
Age in 1860: 38
Birth Year: abt 1822
Birthplace: Bavaria
Home in 1860: New York Ward 22 District 2, New York, New York
Gender: Male
Post Office: New York
Value of real estate: View Image
Household Members:
Name Age
Frederick Herbst 38
Catharine Herbst 30
Louisa Herbst 5
Albert Herbst 1

1860 United States Federal Census about Catharine Herbst
Name: Catharine Herbst
Age in 1860: 30
Birth Year: abt 1830
Birthplace: Scotland
Gender: Female
Post Office: New York
Value of real estate: View Image
Household Members:
Name Age
Frederick Herbst 38
Catharine Herbst 30
Louisa Herbst 5
Albert Herbst 1

U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 about Frederick Herbst
Name: Frederick Herbst
Widow: Catherine Herbst
Roll Number: T288_213

Applied for 28th March 1863, Frederick was in the New York Infantry.

I have checked online birth records for Bayern, Bavaria, no record turns up for Frederick, I suspect that his father was Albert and mother Louisa.

There are 8 different registration districts in Bayern, I suggest you contact Joanne who is an expert on Bayern records.

[email protected]

Brendan
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant

Brendan In my search there was a third child Franz Rudolph Herbst. Did you happen to come across him? Bill

Hi Bill,

He does not turn up in the 1860 census with the family, he may have been born between 1860 and 1864, I will have a look for him.

Brendan

Brendan Seems to have disappeared .Possibly died in infancy. Also believe the the other passengers with him were brothers and sisters. Trying to contact Joanne more info.

Hi Bill,

It looks probable that he died XXXXX, XXXXX states she was born in Scotland. Her maiden name may turn up on her death record or on one of her children's records.

Brendan

Maiden name Mcgibbon.

Hi Bill,

That is great, at least you know that.

We have a Herbst family in Ireland, they have an agricultural supply company.

Brendan

Brendan Tried to contact Joanne .Sent E Mail never heard back from her . Bill

Hi Bill,

She may be on vacation, try her again.

Brendan
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant