How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler Your Own Question
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Category: Genealogy
Satisfied Customers: 16292
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
Type Your Genealogy Question Here...
A. Schuyler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father was adopted, we need his original birth certificate

This answer was rated:

My father was adopted, we need his original birth certificate from Hamburg, Germany.
We also need his biological father's birth information.
We also need my original birth certificate from Hannover, Germany.
My name isXXXXX born 24 January 1964.
My father's name was Hans Ronald Schurbohm, but I am not sure of his birth name as he changed it to Schurbohm when he grew up. He was born on 1 April 1928.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I will do whatever I can to try to tell you how to get the certificates you want.

The information you seek is not online. No Germany information after about 1912 is available online.

German law only allows birth certificates to be be issued to someone named on the certificate (i.e. the child, or its father or mother), or a direct descendant. Descendancy must be proved with the birth certificates of the later generations. Since you know your date of birth, you can obtain your own birth certificate from the Standesamt (Civil Registry Office) in Hamburg.

You can get your father's from the Standesamt in Hannover. In the event of a name change, the name on the certificate is probably the new name and the parents' names would be those of the adoptive parents. He would have to hire an attorney to petition the court to have the adoption records unsealed to learn the names of the birth parents. Of course none of this is available online and no one can obtain the birth certificate for you online.

An alternate method is to give your representative your power of attorney and the requisite proofs and have that representative work on your behalf. However, the information is not online and either you or your representative would need to go through the proper legal channels to obtain the requested documents.

Here is the contact information for the Standesamt in Hamburg. It is best to contact them by letter, telephone or email for further instructions:

Eiffestraße 74
20537 Hamburg

Phone: +49 40NNN-NN-NNNNFax +49 40NNN-NN-NNNN
E-mail:[email protected]

For Hannover, here is the contact information:

Standesamt Hannover
Heiligerstr. 1
30159 Hannover

Tel.: 0511-168 4 29 58
Fax.: 0511-168 4 33 76
E-Mail:[email protected]

It isn't difficult to actually get the birth certificate from Germany, but it is something you will need to do on your own or hire one of the many companies that specialize in representing people attempting to obtain legal papers.

Best regards,

A. Schuyler and other Genealogy Specialists are ready to help you