How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler Your Own Question
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Category: Genealogy
Satisfied Customers: 16291
Experience:  Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
Type Your Genealogy Question Here...
A. Schuyler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a page page record of my great grandfather from a published

This answer was rated:

I have a page page record of my great grandfather from a published source. I cannot remember what the source was. probably some who's who type book.

I am trying to locate some additional info about him.

last name CHU
first name SHAO-HSIN
in 1908, he studied commerce and finance at New York University (NYU)
he did his post doc course in political science and law at Columbia university, where he graduated in 1911 with a B.S. in 1912, he received his M.A.
Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer, my name isXXXXX will be researching your question today.

I will see what I can turn up.

Hi Tony,

What year was he born?

Was he born in Canton, China?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

born in 1880. he was born in or near Canton China. I have a pdf document of that one page I have with his photo and brief history. not sure if there is a way I can upload it to you

Hi Tony,

Just over the reply box there is a paperclip icon, you can use that to upload a document.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tony,

I live in a different time zone than you do, I will talk to you in the morning.

Wow he was some gentleman, very interesting question.

Hi Tony,

I see his ancestry has been traced back to the 11th century, the exact village where he was born is known.

What can I research for you, he was a great man, I am sure you are very proud of him.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, I am doing some research in china about the records here.

if you can do a bit of checking, I am interested in his records at NYU and columbia. he also built a chinese school there in new york. so any records or info about what he did in the US (new york) will be helpful.

Hi Tony,

I will have a look and see what I can find.

Hi Tony,

No records survive for NYU or Columbia, he must turn up in newspaper articles in the US and Britain.

There are newspaper archives here:

and here:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

strange. I talked with one of our supplier representative last month who was also a Columbia professor. he said they have tons of records and alumni services is an important aspect for the university

Hello Tony,

I will opt out of this question and let other US experts have a look.



Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I will do whatever I can to try to help you.


Generally universities in the US, when they have records still in existence (doubtful after 100 years), will release the transcripts to the students/alumni only. You can contact Columbia at the following address to see if his records still exist or not, and if they will release them to you:


Student Service Center
205 Kent Hall
Columbia University
Amsterdam Ave., MC 9202
New York, NY 10027

Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Office Hours: M-F, 9 a.m. -5 p.m.


The address to write to New York University is:


Mail: Office of the University Registrar
Academic Records
P.O. Box 910


While there may be newspaper articles about your great grandfather opening a Chinese school in New York, they would most likely be found in the microfilm archives of libraries in New York City or at the New York State Library in Albany.



Kind regards,





A. Schuyler, Genealogist
Category: Genealogy
Satisfied Customers: 16291
Experience: Researcher and genealogist for past 30 years
A. Schuyler and other Genealogy Specialists are ready to help you