Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

My father, Johannes Jacobus Greyling 1927-1999,born District

Shoongezicht? Witbank,married my mother Joyce...
My father, Johannes Jacobus Greyling 1927-1999,born District Shoongezicht? Witbank,married my mother Joyce Egan 1926-2013 born Bloemfonteinat the Boksburg magistrates court in 1952?1953.could you tell me more about these families? South-Africa
8/30/2013
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Hello there,

I will have a go at answering your question, SA records are not online, I will see what I can turn up.

Brendan

Brendan,

if you need more particular information,do ask

Marina

Hello Marina,

The Greyling family in SA is very large, there are a lot of different stems, the family originated in England, Egan is a very Irish surname.

To research back your will have to follow the paper trail, you need their parents names.

You have enough information to apply to Home Affairs for their birth certificates, I believe that Johannes father was also Johannes Jacobus latin for XXXXX XXXXX. He died 1956

Brendan

As far as I know, this family clan came from German ancestry, from Bremen.

My father, Johannes Jacobus Greyling, did not die in 1956.

His dates are 1927-1999

Hi Marina,

There is an estate record for a Johannes Jacobus 1956, it may be his father.

Possible birth record for his father:

Johannes Jacobus Greyling, "South Africa, Free State Dutch Reformed Church Records, 1848-1956"Name: Johannes Jacobus Greyling
Event Type: Baptism
Event Date: 05 Oct 1902
Event Place: Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa
Residence Place:
Age:
Marital Status:
Birth Date:
Record Type:
Birth Year (Estimated):
Father's Name: Petrus Hendrik Kemp Greyling
Mother's Name: Anna Catharina Beetge
Spouse's Name:
Spouse's Residence Place:
Spouse's Age:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):
Entry Number: 6905
Page: 249
GS Film number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Digital Folder Number:NNN-NN-NNNN
Image Number: 00591

Brendan

My grandfather was Abraham Gerhardus Wilhelmus Greyling, ?1899-?1989

Hi Marina,

I have checked all the online records, nothing for Abraham, he may be related to Abraham Carel, he had a brother Johannes Gerhardus.

Civil registration started in South Africa 1890, I would think there was only one A.G.W. Greyling born 1898 / 1900.

Apply to Home Affairs for his birth certificate, it is a nice document to have.

Brendan

About my mother,Joyce Egan.Her father

was Charles Dodd Egan. ?1899-1959.He married Jeanette Helena Martha Oosthuizen 1901-1974? His mother was a Kenney

Hi Marina,

Charles Dodd Egan was born 1891, he served in the Royal Air Force

You can download his record here, may give NOK

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=D8257352

Brendan

I would like to know more about the Egan family too, as requested in my initial question

Regards,

Marina

Hi Marina,

What was Charles Dodd Egans fathers name, the mothers maiden name was Kenny / Kenney.

Did you have a look at his Air Force record?

Brendan

Hi Marina,

His RAF record will include:

full name
date and place of birth
next of kin
occupation
date of commission
subsequent promotion(s)
the units the officer served in (including the dates he joined and left the units)
the date the officer relinquished his commission, his date of death or his retirement date
The records may also contain the following information:
details of specialist courses attended
information about the type of aircraft flown
details of any honours and awards and the dates they were announced in the London Gazette
next of kin (although the relationship may not always be specified)

Sample record here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/mason-air-76-338.pdf

Brendan
Hello Marina,

Please mark the question as answered, I will then get credited for my research.

Brendan
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph
Brendan Joseph, Consultant