Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

I am looking for the father and mother of John Crist born Oct

30 1778 died Nov 14...
I am looking for the father and mother of John Crist born Oct 30 1778 died Nov 14 1856. He is buried at the Burkittsville MD (Frederick County) Cemetery. I do not know how many siblings he has, but know he had cousins by the name of Devilbiss. John Crist's children consisted of 4 boys and a girl: Daniel, NatXXXXX, XXXXX Ellen, Jacob, David.

I have: A Biographical and Reminiscent Sketch of the Crist Family by Charles Henry Crist (My great uncle). He believes several family stories that my great great great grandfather (Father of John Crist) was Adam Crist who fought in the Revolutionary War. According to birth records (MD State) the father of John Crist was Philip Crist. I am confused. If Philip Crist is the father of John Crist, which Philip Crist is this and could he possibly be the brother of Adam Crist? I am trying to find a connection so my daughter and I can become members of DAR. I would like information on wive's names as well.

Thank you.
5/7/2013
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Here is the record of his baptism in the Evangelical Reformed Church in Frederick, MD: "Johannes, son of Philip and Dorothea Christ, b. 30 Oct. 1778, bp. 4 Apr. 1779. Sponsors: Johannes and Christina Huber." [William J. Hinke and Frederick S. Weiser, Maryland German Church Records, Vol. 5, p. 44] I think that clears up any confusion about who his parents were.

The problem comes in determining who Dorothea was before her marriage to Philip Crist. There was a Philip Crist who came to Baltimore prior to 1758, age 15, with his father Jacob Crist. This may be the same man, but you would need to do more research in the records in Maryland. They aren't online. I would check the records from the Evangelical Lutheran Church from about 1760-1767.

Philip and Dorothea had these children baptised in the same church:

• Johannes b 09 Mar 1767 bp 26 Apr 1767 [died before 1778 and they reused the name, a common happening back then]
  • Maria Elisabetha b 31 Mar 1768 bp 19 Jun 1768
  • Johann Philip b 26 Jun 1770 bp 22 Jun 1770 [note switched dates in transcription from the parish book]
  • Anna Catharina b 14 Jan 1772 bp 22 Mar 1772
  • Valentin b 14 Nov 1773 bp 17 Apr 1774
  • Maria Catharina b 16 Aug 1776 bp 13 Oct 1776
  • Johannes b 30 Oct 1778 bp 04 Apr 1779
  • Anna Maria b 22 Jul 1781 bp 14 Apr 1782
  • Anna Barbara b 01 May 1784 bp 08 Aug 1784
  • Jacob b 11 Dec 1787 bp 25 May 1788

There was a naturalization of a Philip Crist in Frederick Co., MD in 1765, but the record itself is not online.

There was a Philip Crist who was serving in Col. XXXXX XXXXX's Batallion in Frederick Co., MD in 1779.

If it is the same man, there is a will of a Philip Crist in Frederick Co., MD dated 1812. It is not online.

I am sorry there aren't more records online and that research will need to be done in person in Maryland. I did not find an Adam Crist in Maryland in that time frame.

Hope this helps a little Smile

Best regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Is there somewhere I can call to obtain these records in MD since I don't live anywhere near there?

Is this Jacob Crist you mentioned, the father of Philip Crist, possibly the oldest brother of Nicholas Heinrich Crist?

Thanks,
Terry

Hi, Terry,

Thanks so much for the excellent rating. There are several Nicholas Heinrich Crists. There was N. H. Crist and Ana Catharine Nowlin who had N. H. Crist Jr. and a J. Jacob Crist, but that Jacob moved to Kentucky and died there about 1830, so he isn't your Philip's father. Untangling the Crists would take a lot of time and effort delving into the church and court records in Frederick Co., MD.

Since it is so time-consuming, there isn't someone you can call. You would need to hire a genealogist who does on-site work. You can find a professional genealogist through http://www.apgen.org/ or http://www.progenealogists.com/. Fees vary all over the map from as little as $75 per hour to over $150, so it pays to negotiate.

The Frederick County Historical Society also offers to help with research (done by its members) for a much smaller fee. You can read more about it here: http://www.hsfcinfo.org/library/research.htm

Good luck with your research

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Schuyler

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist