Genealogy

Genealogy Questions? Ask a Genealogist for Answers ASAP

Genealogy

I am desperately trying

Customer Question
I am deperately trying to...
I am deperately trying to trace my Irish Ancestry. All I have is a marriage certificate of
my grandfather his name Patrick Burke, married Ida Pavey on 17/05/1912, the Church of the Sacred Heart, Sussex East, District of Steyning. Document number MXF312051 application number(NNN) NNN-NNNN1. He came from Cahirciveen, they had a family farmsted in Bellycotton, that my mother spoke about County Kerry, Cork.

Please let me know if you will be able to help trace the above,
Many thanks
Veronica
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Genealogy
4/17/2012
Genealogy Expert: Angela--Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Angela--Mod

Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Hi Angela,

The extra amount of R739.00 I cant afford at the moment.

I was under the impression that the R312.00 is a deposit which I thought would be about 50% of the total amount but didnt realise that the full amount would be more than double the deposit.

Do I have the choice to ask for research to the value of R312.00 if not will my deposit be

refunded?

Please let me know.

Genealogy Expert: Angela--Mod,
 replied 5 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

In the meantime, regarding your concerns about cost, to better serve you, I will forward your questions to Customer Service where a Representative will contact you via email.

Genealogy Expert: A. Schuyler, Genealogist replied 5 years ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Have you ordered the marriage record from the British General Register Office? You can do so through this link: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ using the information you already have:

Name: Partick Burke

Registration district: Steyning

County: Sussex

Year of registration: 1912

Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun

Spouse's last name Pavey

Volume no: 2B

Page no: 668

Parent's names are XXXXX XXXXX in the record. So is place of birth and age.

How old was he when he married? You mentioned that he was from Cahirciveen. That is in Co. Kerry.

I am confused about this comment you made "... my mother spoke about County Kerry, Cork..." County Cork and Co. Kerry are two neighboring counties in the southwest of Ireland.

Hi Schuyler,

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did order a copy of the marriage certificate, which I have in my possession.

That is where I got all the details from that I emailed to you.

Further details on the marriage certificate is: Married on the 7 Mayth 1912, Age of Patrick Burke in 1912 was 37yrs, Bachelor, Tailor (journeyman), 57 Goldstone Road, Hove. His fathers name was also Patrick Burke and he was a farmer. I also know that he was a tailor in the RAF during the war. That he married Ida Pavey and they had children that I could trace: Eileen, Kathleen, Patrick, Josephine(died of diptheria at the age of approx 12), John(maybe) and Ena (my mother). That he left Ireland to settle in the Brighton area where he spent most of his days. Ida Pavey,his spouse, suffered with severe depression and was committed to the mental institution in Brighton, my mother, Ena and sisters were later sent to the Brighton & Hove Girls Orphanage, address: No 2 Bristol Gate, Rosaz House.

What I meant is: My mother spoke alot about County Kerry, Cork is an error.

I have my mother's birth certificate: number BXBY846815, dob 16/04/1920, place Brighton, full name Ena Hannah Nora Burke.

I am prepared to increase the fee to a total amount of R500.00 for now.

Should you require any further information please mail me.

I have started a family tree on ancestry.co.uk

Many thanks

Veronica

Thanks, Veronica,

The problem is that most Co. Kerry records are not available online. I have researched all that are available from every source and found nothing on your Patrick Burke born 1875±1 (i.e. 37 years old in 1912). He doesn't appear in the 1901 or 1911 censuses for Co. Kerry which are online at the National Archives of Ireland.

Most birth and baptism records in Ireland have been microfilmed by the LDS and you can order those microfilms through your local Family History Center. Here is the site to determine where your closest one is: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp Once the microfilm arrives you have 90 days to read it. Eventually they will get around to transcribing them and getting them online but it may take another decade or two.

Another option is to hire a genealogist in Ireland to search paper records in Co. Kerry. Reputable researhers can be found at www.apgen.org and at www.progenealogists.com. However, ordering the microfilm through the LDS is much cheaper (the price of a restaurant breakfast) versus $75 and up per hour for someone to research on site.

Best regards,

Hi Schuyler.

Many thanks for all you help, I will request the microfilm and hope that I will be able to trace

my grandfather.

Veronica

You're so very welcome. It always makes me sad to have to tell people that information just doesn't exist online, but you should be able to get lots of it in the microfilm.

Good luck!

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Genealogist