Game Systems

Video Game Console Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I have a playstation 4 i bought in December of last year and…

Customer Question
I have a playstation...

I have a playstation 4 i bought in December of last year and it no longer reads the discs. Can i get it fixed?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Sony Play station 4

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your PlayStation? What have you tried so far?

About a month or so and we haven't tried anything. I didn't want to mess it up

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Game Systems
12/3/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Customer Service

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.