Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Our PS4 is practically full. So, we decided to upgrade the

Customer Question

Our PS4 is practically full. So, we decided to upgrade the hard drive
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: With that said we have a WD my passport ultra that is in exfat format with some content already on it. We are doing this so we don't lose our current games and such so we can then transfer onto the new internal hard drive. Problem is the PS4 won't recognize the external hard drive although it is in exfat format. ideas?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I'ts not a long term issue. We are trying to back up data to the external prior to putting in a new internal on the system.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't believe so, bc some of the information he/she will need to know has already been stated e.g. exfat format
Category: Game Systems
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

What size is the WD drive?

The PS4 can only recognize external drives up to a certain storage max.

If it is using the correct format but is not being recognized then the likely reason is that it is too large to be recognized.

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I understand but, it appears to be something else. The original was 3 TB then we tried another external that was only 2 TB and it couldn't seem to verify. We went ahead and bypassed that by trying to download all we had to the cloud, with moderate success.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Does the WD drive have external power, or it powered through the USB connection?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The external is powered through an AC adapter. The drive will not activate solely on the USB.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thoughts?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

I'm out of ideas on this one. Let me check with the other techs...

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Anything further your peers could suggest? I feel a bit taken on this with having paid and no real answer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No one has contacted on any platform whatsoever. I would like to speak with management and get my money back.Thank you,
Russell Jones