Game Systems

Video Game Console Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Game Systems

Trying to watch netflix on my wii. Just got a comcast dual

Customer Question
band modem and now it...
trying to watch netflix on my wii. Just got a comcast dual band modem and now it reloads constantly. with the single 2.4 band it didn't do that.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Since yesterday
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: deleted the data and restarted the program several times. Worked for a couple minutes but that's it
JA: The game expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: How much do you charge?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Ok
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Game Systems
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've also tried restarting the app several times and changing the internet selection but nothing works. The WII says it's connected to the internet and youtube works on the WII
8/21/2016
Electronics Technician: Dustin, Repair Technician replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Repair Technician
Experience: From The ColecoVision to PS3's and XBOX 360's I have been using and repairing game systems for many years! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Your router should be putting out two networks, a 2.4 ghz network and a 5 ghz network. Which network do you have the wii connected to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2.4 is all it recognizes. I can't get it to see the 5.0
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is not the answer, I'm sorry, my wii will not use the 5 ghz. Too old I guess. It doesn't recognize it.

Ok, so you are connected to the 2.4 ghz network.

Now, for probably a more important issue. You mentioned you have a comcast dual band modem, that means you h ave comcast service. You know that comcast caps netflix streaming yes?

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1546380/how-netflix-is-fighting-against-comcast

This has been going on since 2014. By cap, what that means is that after you stream X amount of data from netflix using comcast internet, they buffer your speed for netflix. This is almost certainly what is happening as you said yourself, youtube works fine. And I bet if you tested hulu, it would work fine too. ( for a while )

Im willing to bet if you take that wii to another location that has non comcast internet, netflix will stream fine. Or, if you have a phone capable of providing a wireless hotspot, netflix would even stream through the wireless hotspot from your mobile phone.

And at the beginning of your monthly billing cycle, netflix will work fine again. ( Till you hit the cap )

About the only fix you could do here is call comcast and ask t hem to remove the cap on netflix, or else you want to switch to a new provider. The first line customer service personell will probably either deny, or redirect the issue and claim its something else. It isnt.

A quick google search of Netflix comcast bandwidth limits will sh ow you how widespread the issue is. if netflix is something you enjoy, Id strongly recommend switching to a non comcast internet service if possible.

If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Ive just seen your phone call request. I havent accepted it yet as that would cost you more $$.

Did you want to discuss the information I just sent to you? The reason I didnt outright accept the phone call is there isnt anything besides the above info I can really add. As you mentioned, youtube is working without buffering.. So that tells us that your connection is solid enough to run video. And since you are using comcast and only netflix is b eing affected, this is a clear cut issue which I explained in my last reply.

Please confirm whether you wanted to pay the extra fee for phone support, and if so I can accept that offer and give you a call.

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a TG862G until yesterday but my girls needed more connections so we traded it in. Comcast is giving us 1 Terrabyte of data per month
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not satisfied with that answer. Sorry. Gotta be something else

Did you take a moment to google search Comcast, Netflix and Bandwidth?

Again, this has been going on since 2014 with comcast. They cap netflix meaning after you stream x amount a month they severaly reduce the bandwidth streaming speeds which causes buffering. The information I have given you is correct. And current.

Dont believe me? perform a quick google search and you will see that this is a highly publicized issue. Again, you are paying comcast for internet yet they are capping your netflix speed.

If it was some other issue as you stated.. Then neither youtube or hulu would work any better then netflix.

And as you said, you tube runs without issue....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just got it to work on my laptop. It's the wii

Accessing netflix through a browser on a laptop, allows it to modify the quality / download speed automatically. .Its probably not running in full HD on the laptop.

With that being said, you can try removing netflix and re-addig it to the wii

1. From the Wii U Gamepad, Select System Settings.
  2. Scroll over to the right and select Data Management.
  3. Under Data Management, select Copy/Move/Delete Data.
  4. Select System Memory.
  5. Select Netflix.
  6. Select Netflix again and select Delete.

And to reinstall

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23890?lang=en&nodeId=23890

Another possibility is this. Since you replaced the router. Its entirely possible that the old router had better range or throughput to the wii then this router does.

How many bars of signal connectivity does the wii get on the current network?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now I've done that two or three times. The only thing I haven't done was format system data. Is that what you meant? Because that removes all icon channels. Is I just erase the data as you suggested, the channels remain and it asks for my username and password ***** but doesn't correct my problem. Thats what I said in the first paragraph I wrote when I presented the problem. I said I delete the data. That was in data management. But that didn't correct my problem. Sorry

Lets try a test to verify whether this is the wireless router, or something else.

Can you connect your wii directly to the router via an ethernet cord. Then try netflix.. This will tell us if its a router / signal strength issue or something else.

D.S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My wii doesn't have an Ethernet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
port
Electronics Technician: ,  replied 1 year ago
Phone call session started
Dustin, Repair Technician