Game Systems

Video Game Console Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Game Systems

Trying to connect an xbox 360 to an old CRT RPTV... using an

Customer Question
Customer: hey, trying to connect...
Customer: hey, trying to connect an xbox 360 to an old CRT RPTV... using an HDMI to component cable converter which works well on another tv but not on the big RPTV
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: getting audio but only a black screen with the converter wondering if there's a hz setting that needs to be adjusted
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Game Systems
1/4/2016
Electronics Technician: Steve G., Engineer replied 1 year ago
Steve G., Engineer

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

Can you tell me the make and model of the CRTV please?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's a Toshiba 57HX81

Ok, and you are connected to the Colorstream Component inputs?

Do you get anything at all? A fuzzy pic or black and white etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
getting audio but only black on the screen... I tried the PORTTA converter on my newer Toshiba model and it worked fine, so I know that the converter is good

That TV has a couple of sets of Component inputs. Have you tried them both?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HDMI to converter to component cable to colorstream inputs... which are normally connected to the blu-ray player and work fine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried both... have cable box connected to one and blu ray to the other and I hooked both sets of cables to the converter

Ok. Let me look into this. It may take me 10 mins or so.

I'll be back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
great, thank you

Hi again. Unfortunately I have found no good answer for you. It sounds like the Toshiba just doesn't want to play nice with the converter. Can you tell me the model number of the PORTTA device please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sure it's this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J22LGYG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also tried this one and had the same problem: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-hdmi-to-component-converter?variant=5717010885

So you have tried two converters and neither works on the Toshiba?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
exactly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I returned the Radio Shack converter before trying it on our other tv, but the PORTTA works just fine that one... it's a 2005 Toshiba HDTV

Does this one have a selector switch for resolution?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so but I'll go take a look to make sure

Ok. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's right, no switch

The reviews on Amazon are not all good, many people have the same issue and it appears that Amazon no longer sells it directly as "While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here".

I did see some discussion about how the signal is converted and how older TVs may not be able to decode it.

I think you may be out of luck with this particular TV. I don't have any other suggestion unfortunately.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, thanks for looking into it... how does this work, do I get charged for an unresolved issue?

I didn't mark any of my responses as an answer so I receive nothing.

That happens :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, well thank you for your time. Maybe I'll try an HDMI to S-video converter next
Electronics Technician: green-owl, Engineer replied 1 year ago
green-owl
green-owl, Engineer

Hi. I don't know what could be wrong. It seem to give a component signal that the TV can't read, everything else seem fine. Perhaps the TV can't read the type of synch the converter give (like doing a synch on green instead of the typical synch on luma). Why did you not get the 360 component cable instead of a converter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have 360 component cable but that doesn't work with the new 360s. I'm going to have to return mine and get an older unit. Thanks.

I see, seem you have the "E" model then. Good HDMI converter can be pricy, here is one:

https://www.hdfury.com/shop/gamer/hdfury-gamer-2-component/

Probably indeed cheaped to swap it with someone for a Slim model (don't get the earlier model, they can die on you anytime).

green-owl
green-owl
green-owl, Engineer