Game Systems

Video Game Console Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Game Systems

My sharp lc-55le653u is showing black and

Customer Question
white for component...
My sharp lc-55le653u is showing black and white for component
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Game Systems
11/29/2015
Electronics Technician: Aric, Hobbyist replied 2 years ago
Aric, Hobbyist

Hello, generally when black and white shows on component- it means you need to change the Input to "Composite" or "AV" on the set.

Just to make sure, you're using Red,White and Yellow RCA cables- with the yellow connected to the green port on the TV- is that correct?

If so, select "Video"- not Component and tell me what happens with the color please.

Please let me know when you can see my reply.

I don't have the option to choose video, only component

Something is wrong here then. Please tell me ALL of the Input options each time you press Input please.

It shows right in the Sharp manual that when you use red,white and yellow you NEED to select "Video". Are you saying that option is not there?

Tv, HDMI 1, 2,3, component, usb, home network, and miracast are the options I have

That's contrary to the manual for this TV. Hang on and I'll see if there's anything else.

Also you are using Red,White and Yellow RCA cables- correct?

From page 24: "When you connect an AV cable to the COMPONENT/VIDEO IN terminal, switch Input Select
to VIDEO"

I don't have the option to do that

What are you connecting to it please? Does it also have the option to use Red,Blue,Green,Red and White jacks?

I'm using the yellow red and white cables I also have blue red and green as well
it has the jacks

What are you connecting to the TV please?

Blue red and green cables

What device- what is the component- not talking about the cables??

In other words is it a DVD player, cable box, game console? What is the make and model? Please elaborate.

It's a cable box
Scientific Atlanta explorer 1850

Okay, so what happens if you remove the RWY cables, and instead connect the reed,blue,green,red and white to the SAME colored jacks on both devices, THEN select Component?

Yes? Please read my last reply again.

I did that already it shows black and white

That makes no sense, I will opt out and open the question.

Since no one has jumped in, I have a few more ideas.

1) How old is this TV?

2) Are you 100% certain you matched the red,blue,green cables to the red,blue,green jacks on both devices?

Just bought it its sharp smart tv

I know it's a Sharp Smart TV I have the manual in front of me and am familiar with the set.

Are you 100% certain you matched the red,blue,green cables to the red,blue,green jacks on both devices?

That's correct

Then you have a defective TV- there's no way around that.

Red,White and Yellow connect to the Red,White and Green jacks respectively- then you select "Video" from the Input selections- and you're saying you have no "Video" option.

Red,Blue,Green,Red and White connect to those same colored jacks, and then you select "Component" to get a full color picture- and you're saying you get a black and white picture on this Input.

These symptoms indicate that your TV is defective and should be returned to the retailer for an exchange.

However you can try a hard reboot of the set to see if that helps.

Disconnect the set from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute then plug it back in and press power once. Select component using the RGB cables and see if the picture is still in black and white.

If so, then do you have another source such as a DVD player that you can attempt to connect to the TV to see if the same issue occurs?

Do you need further assistance with this?

If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Can it possibly be the set top box? I plugged in the DVD player and it showed color but it's distorted and I plugged in a hard drive via the USB port and it's perfect color

Okay good test! If the DVD and HD worked fine and in perfect color, then this would point to the problem being with the STB.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

The DVD wasn't perfect color it was distorted. But it should be the stb thanks

You're welcome. Can you please click the 5 STARS so I am credited?

Aric, Hobbyist