Game Systems

Video Game Console Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Game Systems

Rod, i purchased my ps2 (the big one) from a pawn store and

Customer Question
hi rod, i purchased my...
hi rod, i purchased my ps2 (the big one) from a pawn store and she hooked it up there for me and it worked perfectly.. i get home and on 3 tvs and about 6-7 different rca jacks (red white and yellow) and it wont come in in color.. black n white works fine but cant get color on any of my tvs.. same cables as the pawn shop had it hooked up with and i had a spare set.. cant figure this out..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Game Systems
10/25/2015
Electronics Technician: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. Of course I would bring this back to just one set of cables to test it out but I would also do a complete reset system. What can happen is that the system will get stuck in a certain video mode and then not change if you've change the cables. So first unplugging completely and then when plugging it in press and hold the power button. Continue to press and hold the power button until it beeps 3 times and then let go. After a few minutes the system should come back up reset and then work properly. When it does make sure you have the audio and video cables plug in that you intend to use from that point forward it will automatically protect those cables and should appear properly. If not or if you still have questions, please let me know.

For starters there isn't a power button it's a toggle switch on the back on the front there's a reset button but as far as the power button goes its a toggle switch on the back side
Hello??

Yes - for the toggle switch, slide and hold. Same thing.

It doesn't slide it's on or off.. holding it does Nuthin at all.. if you flip it on its on.. your response makes no sense to the way my system is designed..

Try this instead

Turn on the system with nothing in the tray so it will load into the dashboard. Press DOWN and then X. Hit DOWN, DOWN, DOWN then X then LEFT then X again.

Was it supposed to do sumthin besides take the rgb (the last 3 letters) off?

It resets the system.

It takes me to the system configuration screen..I turn it on n it goes to the browser / system configuration screen and following ur directions doesn't reset it.. it just sits there..
Electronics Technician: Rusty, Customer Service replied 2 years ago
Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service

Hello, my name is Rusty. I'd like to give this problem a shot. Are you still having trouble? Where is it plugged into your TV now?

I have red white n yellow rca cables from the deck to the tv. Everything works fine just no color..

Ok, and where on the TV do you have it plugged in? Here is what will cause black and white:

If the yellow cable is plugged into the wrong port on the TV.

Some TVs have a setting to use RGB vs YPbPr. You want to select RGB for composite.

Can you take a look in your TV's video settings?

I've tried moving the rca cables around but right now they are in the front lower right..I had my old ps2 and my current xbox hooked up the same way.. I do not get this.. I'm baffled..

How about the RGB setting in your Xbox? Is it set to RGB now? (I can't remember if the 2 has those settings, but please take a look.)

I didn't see that setting on my TV but I do have it on the ps2 and it is set to rgb
Let me hook up my xbox real quick
I did not see any settings on my xbox for the RGB

Switch the ps2 into YPbPr, does that produce color?

Nope
Everything looks identical to the RGB setting

Hmm, so Michael had you reset it, we've confirmed it's on YPbPr, do you see another setting on your PS2 that tells it to output composite (YPbPr) or component (RGB)?

He said he reset it but when he told me to do it the down up down down whatever it was it didn't do anything so I don't think it reset and no there wasn't any other settings on here either

Turn on the system with nothing in the tray so it will load into the dashboard. Look in your settings for a factory reset. He gave you the buttons to get there, which are DOWN and then X. Hit DOWN, DOWN, DOWN then X then LEFT then X again. Watch the screen, it's not a secret code, it's how to navigate the setup menu to the reset.

Can we talk on phone?? It'd be a lot easier..
All that does is take me into the configuration of the rgb and the other one.. that series of instructions does not reset this machine.. it does Nuthin but change the rgb to the other series of letters we switched to earlier..

Let me open the question back up. I have a house call this morning, but if you haven't been helped by the time I return, I'll pick it back up.

Electronics Technician: green-owl, Engineer replied 2 years ago
green-owl
green-owl, Engineer

Hi. The first thing i do when i get a used console is to open it and clean all the dust. Dust can contain a lot of carbon that can conduct between component and also reduce the air flow of the fan (over heat can cause weird behavior). It is possible that at the store, humidity and heat and the dust positioning inside the console was different. The PS2 was really a console prone to dust, make sure it is very clean and that the fan operate well and retry.

Okay I'll take it apart and clean it up and I'll get back to you
Nope that did nuthing..
Hello?? Is anyone still helping me or did everyone abandon my issue..
Imagine that I get passed around again does anyone actually have the ability y p help me out or should I give up on this service
green-owl
green-owl
green-owl, Engineer