French Law

Have French law questions? Ask a French lawyer now.

I am in Paris, France. Nothing. I want to sue someone for…

Customer Question
Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is*****: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Paris, France

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to sue someone for defamation I al a US citizen he is a French citizen I am a US citizen

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: French Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Barrister: ratioscripta,
 replied 3 months ago
ratioscripta

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this, Ara. Please tell me:

1) What happened? What exactly was said?

2) Where were you when the defamation occurred?

3) Where was the other party when the defamation occurred?

1) Well, I am a US citizen and am a ordained minister, clergy. I serve at a church in Paris. A member of the congregation disagreed with a few things I said. Since then he started spreading e-mails telling people how disappointing I am. So far I had no problem. The problem is when he started circulating e-mails accusing me of being a lier, and f saying things and doing the opposite, and accusing me as the reason for financial problems we have when I have nothing to do with them. Now I know this may shut petty for you, but do you thinkI can sue this man because he continues circulating e-mails and targeting my integrity an character as a clergy.
Barrister: ratioscripta,
 replied 3 months ago

Thank you. Do his emails have anything to do with issue in the USA, or do they have to do with things in France?

2) It started in a council meeting was present. And he shouted at me and told me to shut up, while I am the president of the council. He then sent me personal e-mails accusing me of being a dictator and doing things on my own. Finally he started sharing these info with council members
3) in the same room I was, then it was circulated by e-mail from his house
Barrister: ratioscripta,
 replied 3 months ago

Okay. Even though one or more parties is a US citizen, the jurisdiction and venue is still in France. So French law applies. I am going to transfer your question to the European legal category. All the best.

In his defamation comments he has accused me of the following, which I can easily proof to be false accusations:
1. Lie in the council meeting;
2. Making decisions without consulting with the council;
3. Taking illegal steps
4. negatively affecting the income of the church