French Law

Have French law questions? Ask a French lawyer now.

I am in Paris, France. Nothing. I want to sue someone for…

Customer Question
Hello, my name is*****...

Hello, my name is*****: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Paris, France

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to sue someone for defamation I al a US citizen he is a French citizen I am a US citizen

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: French Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Barrister: ratioscripta,
 replied 27 days ago
ratioscripta

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this, Ara. Please tell me:

1) What happened? What exactly was said?

2) Where were you when the defamation occurred?

3) Where was the other party when the defamation occurred?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
1) Well, I am a US citizen and am a ordained minister, clergy. I serve at a church in Paris. A member of the congregation disagreed with a few things I said. Since then he started spreading e-mails telling people how disappointing I am. So far I had no problem. The problem is when he started circulating e-mails accusing me of being a lier, and f saying things and doing the opposite, and accusing me as the reason for financial problems we have when I have nothing to do with them. Now I know this may shut petty for you, but do you thinkI can sue this man because he continues circulating e-mails and targeting my integrity an character as a clergy.
Barrister: ratioscripta,
 replied 27 days ago

Thank you. Do his emails have anything to do with issue in the USA, or do they have to do with things in France?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
2) It started in a council meeting was present. And he shouted at me and told me to shut up, while I am the president of the council. He then sent me personal e-mails accusing me of being a dictator and doing things on my own. Finally he started sharing these info with council members
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
3) in the same room I was, then it was circulated by e-mail from his house
Barrister: ratioscripta,
 replied 27 days ago

Okay. Even though one or more parties is a US citizen, the jurisdiction and venue is still in France. So French law applies. I am going to transfer your question to the European legal category. All the best.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
In his defamation comments he has accused me of the following, which I can easily proof to be false accusations:
1. Lie in the council meeting;
2. Making decisions without consulting with the council;
3. Taking illegal steps
4. negatively affecting the income of the church
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)