French Law

Have French law questions? Ask a French lawyer now.

In France, I understand that - upon finishing employment at…

In France, I understand that...
In France, I understand that - upon finishing employment at a company - it is recommended that you visit "Pole Emploi" to get registered to be covered by Social Security.In my case, I have obtained a job outside of France, so continued coverage by Social Security will not be necessary. However, my wife (who is not employed) will remain in France with our young son.Will she and my young son be automatically covered by the Social Security? Or will it be necessary for me to visit the "Pole Emploi" to speak with them about this?I obviously do not want to get any "Pole Emploi" benefits if I have employment outside of France, but my wife and son (who will continue to live in France) will require them.
3/26/2018
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail

Once you have another job, even outside of France, the social security coverage of your dependents is of no concern to Pole emploi whatsoever anymore - since you are not unemployed anymore. You need to ensure that your wife and son are covered by your new employment. If not you will have to buy them coverage - publicly through Social Security or privately through any health insurer you care to choose.

Your wife and son are not covered by Pole emploi benefits at all - they can only claime "second-hand" benefits derivin from your own rights. Which you do not have any more the minute you find a new job, in France or overseas.

Their rights will normally stop 180 days after you finished your employment in France.

T Perrin C
Thank you very much.I have added a new question on this topic that I can properly credit you for your very helpful answers – rather than asking you more questions here.Please can you respond to those questions when you have a spare moment? This particular issue is very important…I hadn’t realized that my wife and son might not be entitled to Social Security benefits if they remain living in France.