French Law

Have French law questions? Ask a French lawyer now.

My mother's been contacted by Coutot Roehrig over the death…

My mother's been contacted...

My mother's been contacted by Coutot Roehrig over the death of a French 2nd cousin last year and they've named her as an heir. As their claim on the net assets at the point of settlement of the estate is 30% , I was wondering if my mother and I could investigate the claim independently somehow. Is there for instance a French equivalent of the Bona Vacantia list? And if her relative was in a psychiatric institution for the last 20 years with his affairs looked after by the state, what might have been tingfenced that the state couldn't lay claim to to cover the costs of his care?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

It's in France. Oise I believe. The relative lived in Chantilly south of Paris.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Of my mother's connection to the 2nd cousin?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A member of my mother's family has spent 7 years working on a family tree through ancestry.co.uk so there's paperwork from that and I my mother has family photos and I think a birth and/or marriage certificate for the second cousin's father.

3/17/2018
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail

To inherit from this second cousin, unless you can prove your mother had contacts with him/her and know the details regarding his death and the notary (lawyer) handling his/her estate, any claim on the estate will legally have to go through a certified genealogist service like Coutot Roerigh. Which is likely to request the same percentage of net assets as they do (rates run between 30 and 25%). Besides , you would have to prove that you knew of this cousin's death and of the estate before Coutot Roerigh contacted your mother. Which is usually complicated since Coutot were most likely mandated by the notary handling the estate when nobody made any claim on the estate.

Regarding the part of your question referring to what assets can possibly remain after the State has made its claim to cover the cost of institutional care provided to the late 2nd cousin, one can only point out that notaries only set into motions firms like Coutot Roehrig when the net assets are worth it.

Lastly, your mother need be aware that she will have to pay inheritance tax on all assets inherited from a third cousin: 60% of the net value of the estate's assets. CT's fee should be calculated on the after tax net worth of the estate.

T Perrin C