French Law

Have French law questions? Ask a French lawyer now.

Do you know where I can find an English-language equivalent…

Customer Question
Do you know where...

Do you know where I can find an English-language equivalent of a complete French "contrat de marriage" please? Thanks in advance, Nigel

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The contract was written in France. The marriage is between a French man and an Indian woman.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The purpose of the English version is that the Indian woman needs to understand what she's getting into.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: French Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have just been informed that a telephone call will cost extra. Please reply to my question by e-mail, not by calling.
Answered in 2 days by:
9/30/2017
Barrister: EULawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to say that the document you are looking for does not exist, and I will explain why and what can be done.

A "Contract de Marriage" is not a standardized document. It is not the marriage certificate, like there is in England. As opposed to England (and other Common Law countries), France has something called "matrimonial regimes", which are bodies of rules governing the patrimonial relationships between the spouses (in other words, what happens to their assets during and after marriage). This is because, again opposed to Common Law, French courts do not allocate assets in case of a divorce "equitably", but by reference strictly to the matrimonial regime chosen.

Parties to a marriage in France can choose which matrimonial regime they will apply to their marriage, as there are several. The default one is "community of acquisitions" meaning any assets acquired during the marriage becomes joint property, regardless of the contribution of each spouse (those existing before marriage remain separate).

Spouses may choose through a "contract de marriage" another regime, such as universal community, conventional community, participation in acquisitions, or strict separation. Within each of these regimes, spouses may develop their own particular rules. All of these must be entered in a "contract de marriage".

Therefore, such a document is highly personalized / customized to the requirements of the spouses. It is also not public.

What I can do for you is provide a translation from French of the specific matrimonial contract proposed by the future husband, if the future wife scans it and sends it to you. This I can do as a Premium Service, which I will offer if you are interested. The translation will also include short and clear explanations of the more technical terms and what they mean in practice.

Please let me know if you are interested, and otherwise, please rate my answer, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad