How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 270
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your French Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Aloha! I have recently reconnected with my French father

Customer Question

Aloha! I have recently reconnected with my French father from whom I've been estranged for most of my life. He is not named the father on my birth certificate but I would like to pursue dual citizenship. How do I go about this?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I believe there are two courses I could take:1. Change paternal name on my birth certificate which would require
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. I am sorry for the delay, due to the fact that there are only a few EU law experts on the website.

To answer your question, you can only claim French citizenship, which you would in fact receive automatically, if your father would recognize you legally, therefore changing your father's identity on your birth certificate, probably judicially, because the courts would have to recognize this change in paternity. Once this happens, you can apply for French citizenship as a person born of a French father at the time of your birth.

Unfortunately, no other means of action is available, if you wish for automatic citizenship. Of course, you could apply for naturalization like any other person considered a foreigner, but it would be much more of a complication, since citizenship by birth does not require knowledge of French, residence time etc.

I hope my answer is useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.


Dr I L Vlad