How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 247
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your French Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What organization must French lawyers be members of in order

Customer Question

What organization must French lawyers be members of in order to practise?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in France temporarily, living in Paris. I live on Canada in the province of Ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, it is a general knowledge question in case we need to contact a lawyer about a tax situation domestically.My wife lives in France
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. In France, every attorney must be a member of the Bar, which in France is called "Ordre des avocats". Each province has its own Ordre des Avocats, and nationally those are united in the "Conseil National des Barreaux".

To find an attorney, you can simply look in the Annuaire of the Bar of your province. Go to this address (, select the province, click "Rechercher" and you will be shown the website of the relevant institution, where in the section "Annuaire" you will find a list, or a search engine, for attorneys. The Paris one is here:

However, for English-speaking persons, I would recommend going by the advice of the US and UK Embassies. They have available lists of English-speaking attorneys. See here: (Legal section) and here:

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.


Dr I L Vlad