How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 249
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your French Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does one have to pay tax on household furniture shipped from

Customer Question

Does one have to pay tax on household furniture shipped from Barbados to France
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. The answer is yes, normally one has to pay both customs tax and VAT tax on them. However, there are exemptions:

1. Exemption valid only for the Customs tax: the customs tax is sometimes 0% (zero), for some collectible objects. This is decided by the customs officer, and the customs classification goes to hundreds of pages, so you must inquire locally;

2. Exemptions valid for both taxes:

-> if the objects are part of an estate (i.e. if the recipient in France inherited them);

-> if the objects are part of their household, with the person having lived in Barbados for over 12 months, and moving residence to France for over 12 months as well, under a promise (made in the form of a declaration at customs) that they will not sell the objects in the next 12 months.

Both situations must be proven. The first one with an inheritance document (like a certificate from Barbados, or probate), the second one with proof of previous residence, plus declaration that the new residence will be taken up shortly.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.


Dr I L Vlad