EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

Does one have to pay tax on household furniture shipped from

Customer Question

Does one have to pay tax on household furniture shipped from Barbados to France
Category: French Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 8 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. The answer is yes, normally one has to pay both customs tax and VAT tax on them. However, there are exemptions:

1. Exemption valid only for the Customs tax: the customs tax is sometimes 0% (zero), for some collectible objects. This is decided by the customs officer, and the customs classification goes to hundreds of pages, so you must inquire locally;

2. Exemptions valid for both taxes:

-> if the objects are part of an estate (i.e. if the recipient in France inherited them);

-> if the objects are part of their household, with the person having lived in Barbados for over 12 months, and moving residence to France for over 12 months as well, under a promise (made in the form of a declaration at customs) that they will not sell the objects in the next 12 months.

Both situations must be proven. The first one with an inheritance document (like a certificate from Barbados, or probate), the second one with proof of previous residence, plus declaration that the new residence will be taken up shortly.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad