How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 99942
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your French Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was supposed to buy a house in Montreal with a friend. I

Customer Question

I was supposed to buy a house in Montreal with a friend. I live in France and for the money to be transfer my boyfriend signed an IOU promising that he will buy a house for the two of us. Unfortunately He and the realtor screwed me 250K euros. Now I am left in France with a debt of 250K euros and of course my boyfriend dumped me after he got what he wanted. How can I have this IOU cancelled
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If this is a document that promises to buy a house for you and you paid him the money why would you want that document canceled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He signed an IOU stating that he owes me 250000 Euros that should be payed in 10 years interest free.
No mention of buying house for me. He bought a house using his name and told me in mail that in his mind he was buying a house for us. Also I live in France and he lives in Montreal, Quebec where he bought the house.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you lend him the money? I am not following. Because if that IOU says he owes you the money why do you want it canceled? Is it because you want the money now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I have not been really clear. Please let me explain my situation.I was in a relationship with a Canadian lawyer in Montreal. Last year we have decided to buy a house together. For money to be transfer from France to Canada, he had to sign an IOU. He turned the IOU in at the tax office in Paris. The problem is that on this IOU he wrote that he will reimburse in 10 years and promise me that he house he'll buy will be on both names. HE bought a house in Montreal on Agust 17 but only on his name. I told him that this was not what we agreed and since then the only message I have from him is the one in which he told me that our relationship was over and that the only thing I was good for was my money. In short he was bragging that he screwed me.
How can I have this IOU cancelled because I feel aI have been abused.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand this. It doesn't make sense that he hadn't an IOU to the tax office. That is not how things work.

Did you give him the 250000 Euros and if so did you borrow it from the bank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I borrowed the 250000 Euros from my bank and and transferred them to Canada. This is shortly after that he dumped me.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You will not be able to get out of the loan with your bank. But, you can sue your former boyfriend for this money. This is a significant amount of money and you should retain an experienced lawyer to sue him so that you can either get the money back or at least seize the house in Montreal.