How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TKenney, Ph.D. Your Own Question
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 791
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Type Your French Law Question Here...
TKenney, Ph.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My car insurance normally automatically renews. Was due

Customer Question

My car insurance normally automatically renews. Was due 6-6-15. Insurance company didn't renew because I had 3 claims in last 2 years (all not my fault, snowy bangs). Insurance company didn't advise me. I was in Australia for 2 months, having returned 2 weeks ago had no idea my insurance was cancelled. I was the victim in an accident 2 days ago. A woman ran into the back of me whilst I was stationary at a stop sign. Am I required by law to complete the constat? If I do, will the insurance company inform police of accident whilst uninsured. Will police fine/prosecute me? Am I better to not go through insurance an pay for damages to her car? I have French car, english licence and require my drivers licence for my work.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 2 years ago.

French law and case law state that the driver must ensure that his car insurance is valid at all time and that he has a valid insurance certificate with him (the fine is 150 € if you cannot show the certificate even if you can prove your insurance is valid).

Driving without insurance is sanctioned by a 3750 € fine, the administrative impounding and seizure of the vehicle and a revoked/suspended license.

You are required by law to either fill in the constat amiable or call in the police. It is most likely that the insurance company will warn the prosecutor's office who is likely to request that the police take action. Unless you can convince the lady not to fill in the constat and offer to pay for the damages to her car. She may accept it (but has no obligation to) unless she was driving a rental car, a company car, a leased car... In which case the insurance company will have to get involved... Sorry