How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TKenney, Ph.D. Your Own Question
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 791
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Type Your French Law Question Here...
TKenney, Ph.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Any France immigration/healthcare experts? My wife and I

Customer Question

Any France immigration/healthcare experts? My wife and I (ages 59 and 63, respectively) are retired Canadians with dual Canadian/Italian citizenship and are interested in relocating, for 7 months of each year, to France and becoming eligible to enrol in
their national healthcare system on a permanent basis going forward. My wife receives a pension from her former provincial government employment and I receive a Canada Pension Plan pension from the federal government. We have resided in Ontario, Canada for
many years and are permitted to spend up to 7 months per year out of Ontario/Canada without compromising our Ontario provincial healthcare benefits ("OHIP"). We do not wish to ever compromise or forfeit that Ontario healthcare but, as mentioned, we do wish
to also belong to the French healthcare system during our annual 7-months stay there each year going forward. What are our options? Is there any form of reciprocal agreement between Canada and France that would permit this ongoing healthcare coverage in France?
I realize that our Italian/EU passports allow us short-term/emergency medical coverage while in France but I believe that that reciprocal coverage is not intended for long-term use. I should note that, while we prefer to not work for someone else, we would,
if necessary, consider self-employment in France (consulting/education field or an internet-based business) if that were the only mechanism available to us for acquiring national healthcare there. If such self-employment were required in this situation, would
you happen to know the potential tax implications and other costs/obligations of that approach? Thanks very much!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 2 years ago.
There is no agreement between France and Canada or its provinces to reciprocate public healthcare rights. Healthcare rights in France is an insurance based system. You would have to pay a yearly premium.Beware that the Sécurité Sociale public healthcare scheme only cover about 65% of basic medical costs. For premium service and/or full coverage, French people usually pay in a private insurance scheme to top this up. Presently the cost in your case would be 8%*(yearly worldwide household income - 9601 €). The cost the private insurance to top this up would be about the same if you are 60 and above. You can qualify only if you are tax residents of France (i.e. live there more than 183 days/year).If you work as self-employed, you need work at least 50% of the time to qualify for healthcare insurance through another system called RSI. You need know that to generate a net before income tax income of 100 €, you will need to generate an average gross income of 200 € (+ VAT).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Therefore, if I were to choose to become self-employed in France (via my Italian citizenship):1. are there minimum income requirements that I must attain in order to acquire or retain health insurance via RSI?
2. What would be the cost to me, as a self-employed person in France, to purchase/enrol in the healthcare system?
3. Is RSI part of the French national healthcare system?Do you feel that self-employment in my case is a sound and valid way to acquire the most economical healthcare possible in France?
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 2 years ago.
RSI is the compulsory health care/social security system for self-employed persons in France. You cannot pay only for healthcare, you also have to pay the other contributions even if you do not benefit from them. The first year you need pay 3173 €, then 4458 € (2015 rates) the second year. The following years, all this is adjusted to the actual income.Depending on your global income this may be cheaper than the CMU. You need know that both these public systems offer a rather meager coverage. In some regions like Paris or the South, you could end up having to pay up to 75% of actual medical bills or end up in NGO dispensaries. In such a manner that it will be compulsory for all employers to offer additional private coverage on top of this public system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The website is not responding to my effort to click on "5 stars". Nothing is happening.