How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TKenney, Ph.D. Your Own Question
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 791
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Type Your French Law Question Here...
TKenney, Ph.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a UK citizen living & working in France. His wife

Customer Question

My son is a UK citizen living & working in France. His wife is Polish. There are no difficulties between me & my son, & I have tried to maintain a good relationship with my daughter-in-law, but she does not like me & is making it difficult for me to visit my 2 grandchildren, aged 3 & 1. Is it possible for grandparents to obtain the equivalent of a Contact Order through the French legal system? If so, what is the process?
Phyllis Reilly
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 1 year ago.
Under French law grandparents can obtain visiting rights. To obtain this you need to instruct an avocat (solicitor) who will take the matter to court. A family affairs judge will hear both parties' arguments and will decide whether to grant you visiting rights, or not. If there are difficulties between your daughter in law and yourself, it is unlikely that you would have the right to visit the children in their home since a judge cannot force your daughter in law to let you enter her home. If you are granted permission to see them, it is likely that it would be in a neutral place (an institution), in presence of the mother and mediators while they are toddlers. Since this can be quite distressing for the children this request is seldom granted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I have given more thought to this problem & have decided not to do anything at present, since I don't want to make the situation worse. I have suggested mediation to my son, & he is going to try to persuade his wife, but it may take some time for her to agree. If I do decide to consider a court application in the future, how can I identify a solicitor who specialises in family law? My son works in Paris.