How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TKenney, Ph.D. Your Own Question
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 791
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Type Your French Law Question Here...
TKenney, Ph.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There, i am currently living in France since November and

Customer Question

Hi there, i am currently living in France since November and had my baby there in December. I fell pregnant in New Zealand as i had been living there for 5 years and met my French partner over there, fairly quickly after meeting. Sadly, he lost his mother in September while he was visiting for 2 weeks suddenly. I was due to give birth at the end of December and he convinced me to move to France so that his father would not be alone for Christmas and the foreseeable future. I was left with little choice but to move with him, and without the language this was very difficult for me. His father has since met someone and i am finding it difficult to settle there. I am from Ireland and i want to move back home to be near my own family. He is currently opening a restaurant but he knows my feelings and i have told him i would just see how it goes. I am in Ireland at the moment for a visit and had a look online to see about the laws regarding this type of thing. I was horrified to read that if we were to seperate, there are custody rulings to say i cant leave the country etc and would have 50-50 custody share with his travel at my expense. I really need to find out what my options are as i am getting worried. I did tell my partner i wasnt 100 percent sure if i would want to settle there. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately the research you have done have given you the gist of what to expect. If you move out of France with the child without the father's agreement, you will face criminal charges for international child abduction, which brings a heavy sentence throughout Europe. You will need to seek permission to move away with a family affairs judge who will rule on custody. The travel expenses will not necessarily be yours to bear - this will depend on the judge's assessment of the situation. The best, ***** ***** trouble and unnecessary legal hassle, would be to find an amicable agreement with your partner.