How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TKenney, Ph.D. Your Own Question
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 791
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Type Your French Law Question Here...
TKenney, Ph.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in France and have two properties, one has mains drainage

Customer Question

We live in France and have two properties, one has mains drainage the other is on a 'fosse septique' (septic tank). The village has recently 3 years ago gone on to mains drainage and Saur the water suppliers have just sent us a bill for the removal of grey water through the mains drainage system. As one of our properties does not have access or use the the mains drainage system do we still have to pay this bill, Saur says we do but it seems a little unfair as we don't use the mains drainage on one property. I do look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  T Perrin C replied 2 years ago.
Hello,When referring to "grey water" do you mean "eaux grises" = rains water removed through the public drainage system or all dirty waters (eaux grises et eaux noires) including all sewage. In the first case, I am sorry to say, you need to pay. In the second case one will need to consider:1 - whether your property could have access to the mains drainage system. If it could, payment is due anyhow. 2 - if it does not you need to check the local by-laws and whether you pay a taxe forfaitaire d'assainissement non collectif. If you don't, then usually you have to pay the taxe de collecte et traitement des eaux usées. You can get the information form the local authority overseeing the distribution of water (Saur is only a subcontracting to this local authority)