T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

My partner obtained a one sided divorce in Hati without her

My partner obtained a one sided divorce in Hati without her husbands agreement and we were then married in Hati. Does France accept this as a legal divorce and marraige?

Thank you

XXXXX XXXXX
If your partner is a Haitian citizen residing in Haiti and this procedure is legal in Haiti (and if the husband is a Haitian resident of course) and if your marriage was duly registered by the French Consulate in Haiti (or the British consulate if you are a British subject): YES
If any of the conditions above is not met, then a more thorough look at the specifics of the situation is required and the answer is likely to be: NO
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife is French and i'm a British.

And where would you be residing? and you wife's ex-husband?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We are residing in France and her ex-husband lives in Switzerland.

It would seem in this case the one sided-divorce in Haïti was only meant to avoid a procedure in France or in Switzerland. Haïti would not have had any legitimate jurisdiction on these divorce proceedings which would be deemed void by France and Switzerland, if ever contested by her husband, or by the administration.