How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask T Perrin C Your Own Question
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
Type Your French Law Question Here...
T Perrin C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to separate from my partner(concubine) of 14 years,

This answer was rated:

I want to separate from my partner(concubine) of 14 years, we own a house in Normandie together. He has told me he does not want to live with me anymore. We jointly own a house in France and I want to put it on the market to sell, but he refuses as he says he wants to finish the renovations first and then we will get more money for it about a year. Unfortunately, his behaviour is becoming difficult to live with.

Can you tell me how I can get him to sell, as he says I cannot without him.
Regards Valerie
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Fran


Yes I still need an answer to this question. What I really would like to know if he does not sign to say he wants to sell the house. How can I legally get him to sign so we can sell the house and go our separate way.


He is holding me to ransom over the house. We had a house together in England which we bought together however he paid 10 per cent into the property and I paid 90 per cent.


However, when we came to France we said we would split the house 50 -50 as he has worked on the house. But I have bought lots of materials and floor and a new Kitchen.


How am I placed with French property law on making him sell asap, instead of him wanting to wait.


I look forward to your reply.


Valerie XXXXXX

Hello Valerie,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me, but when will you be able to answer the question?


I could not contact you earlier as my partner threw our laptop out of the bedrom window last night, so I had to set up our old computer.


So time is of the essence I need to leave this house soon, but am reluctant as I do not know where I stand legally. The house is in both our names.


I am getting desparate.




Hello Valerie,


Unfortunately, while I understand your predicament and would love to be able to give you some reassurance that you'll get a timely answer, we are always unable to predict when a question will get a response.


There are a lot of variables, one of which being that this is a summer weekend and our French experts may not be at the computer much today.


Presently, your question is open to all French and European lawyers. I will mark it high priority for you, but if this is an actual emergency, local counsel may be your best bet.

As a co-owner, you may obtain a court order to sell the house in a public auction. It is your right, but it may not be the most advantageous solution from a financial standpoint, as proceeds obtained in auction sales are usually lower than you could obtain on the regular real estate market.
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
T Perrin C and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I cannot get a court order to make him sell with an estate agent, in france?

Thanks for your help.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you able to give me the name and address and tel no. of a good lawyer in Vire, 14500 normandy? One who could help deal with the situation.


Many thansk


I am sorry but site rules and ethics do not allow referrals.
No a court order would only allow you to sell through a judiciary auction.