How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask T Perrin C Your Own Question
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
Type Your French Law Question Here...
T Perrin C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian university student planning on touring Europe

This answer was rated:

I am a Canadian university student planning on touring Europe prior to commencing my fall semester of classes in France. I was accepted as an exchange student. My question is this: Can I apply for a student visa while in Paris France as I need my passport to visit Europe for the month of August?

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this Legal topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had found your answer elsewhere or if you still needed assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wish to continue waiting for another few days. Thank you

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hi there

Canadians citicens do not need to get a Visa if you are not going to stay longer than 90 days in Europe
So, if you think to travel before your studys becomes and stay less than 90 days you only need your passport
But in order to get your student visa you need to manage it in the french consulate in Ontario, you can no get it in France
You will need to get it in Canada because you are not going to get the chance to get it in France
So, ask for the student visa as you are in Canada and if you need extra time once in France, you will ask for it in France. Always asking for it in France two months before your visa expires

I will be here if needed, thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Completely missed 2 key points: Staying for 150+ days(travelling + studying) and leaving July 17th(yesterday) for France. Was wondering of other methods of obtaining a visa once in Paris France as passport was needed yesterday to travel.

Well Sir
You can not get the first visa in France
If goy goy one when there you can ask for extra time, but you will need to probe the reason you need it
So, if you have a student visa when there, just ask for an extra time probing you have the check in of the studies.
If you do not have a previuos visa you will need to ask for it in Canada

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

First visa would be the tourist visa which I'm allowed upto 90 days, I am touring Europe(Paris, Croatia, Bosnia) for 30 days after which I return to France to pursue my studies. In this case, can I apply for my student visa from France?

As a Canadian you do not need a tourist visa to visit Canada, so they are not going to give you this visa. You will need to ask for a student visa, no tourist visa

The first student visa never is given when you are in the country

Ask for a student visa as you are in Canada and for extra time if needed in France

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Point is I'm in Europe NOW and not planning on returning to Canada prior to my studies in France. I did not have time to apply for a student visa prior to leaving for Europe. This is where I was hoping to apply for a visa in France once I'm studying there. I was accepted in a student exchange program so I was hoping for an exception to the rule. Are there no exceptions? I must return to Canada to apply for a student visa for France after my travels in Europe or I would be considered an illegal immigrant? Is this correct

I am sorry to have to tell you that there are no exceptionts to the rule
In no cases the student visa could be managed in France
So you must go out and ask for in as in Canada
I am sorry for the bad news.
I can only confirm what my Spanish colleague as a JustAnswer expert stated, if you are already in France and plan on not returning to Canada, you will not be able to obtain your student visa.
These visas are issued in the country of residence only and PRIOR to coming traveling to France.
In any case your tourist visa will expire on October 16th, and you will have to leave France (and/or all 28 European countries adhering to the Schengen treaty)
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
T Perrin C and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you