How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TKenney, Ph.D. Your Own Question
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 791
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Type Your French Law Question Here...
TKenney, Ph.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we have a legal curatelle/conservatorship

Customer Question

Because our father died and my sister was missing we were granted a legal curatelle/conservatorship (Letters of Conservatorship LOC) by a california superior court probate judge for the ESTATE of our missing sister in California-who is a French citizen.


We are having a problem with the notaire in France to accept  our letters of conservatorship and it does not precise specifically that we can accept the succession of our fathers estate for her, our missing sister.


What is the law or the agreement between France and United States concerning this situation? Can your help us please?


We need to close the succession and move on its been 2 years.


We have been to 2 Juges de Tutelle, both said the LOC was legal but could not tell us more.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: French Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
First, do you understand what we are asking for?
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello Joseph

All I need to understand is that you still wish an answer from a French legal expert. From there, if there is anything that he doesn't understand that he'd need to answer your question, he will post it on the thread and let you know.

We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When we were online and asked the question there was an expert ONLINE at the time that was more than qualified to answer the question. He was supposedly experienced in US and FRENCH probate/tuetelle law, educated and had degrees in France and USA We agreed to move forward because he said he was online right then and experienced "his speciality" and needed more information. Which was never requested and no further contact from him after we paid. Because we had to pay to continue we did not have the opportunity to write down hisinfo because we thought we would proceed with him, because he said he was online right then. I think hisname was Thebold or something like it. We feel we have received a bait and switch from JustAsk to have us pay for a subscription.... "a question answered every 9 seconds" I received another email that said 15 minutes, ha! Answer the freaking question. What is the international agreement between the USA and FRANCE, as the code in FRance regarding missing person is "the ruling law prevails where the missing person last resided" (California) which is why we got the conservatorship there. Can our conservatorship in California "accept" the succession of our father in FRANCE on behalf of our sister?
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
The lawyer you speak of has been notified.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Your question is now open to all French legal experts and European law experts and additionally has been marked high priority. Beyond that, I'm sorry to say we have exhausted all our efforts at this time to find the right professional to assist you with your question.

While we were not able to assist you with this question, please keep in mind that JustAnswer has multiple categories, from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more, to assist you with any question you may need answered.

At this time, we can offer you two options. You can choose to either have us return your good faith deposit back to its original funding source OR you may keep your deposit in your JustAnswer account to use for a future question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I want my money back. I am not at all happy with your service and I don't think that you are up to the task. All I have received is the run around. This includes the so called "expert" in estate probate and french curetelle law that "supposedly" was online at the time, and by the way was the only reason we continued.I don't not expect to receive my refund in 3, 5, 7 or 10 days either I expect it returned with the same speed you got/received it from my account.You can be assured that I will let many people know that your service is a sham. Shame on you. Please remove my name from your advertising, as it seems that's all you can do.