How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TKenney, Ph.D. Your Own Question
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 831
Experience:  Practicing law in France, 10+ years of experience on Paris Bar. Taught French Business Law in US
Type Your French Law Question Here...
TKenney, Ph.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husbands sister is dying and did not leave a will in France

This answer was rated:

My husbands sister is dying and did not leave a will in France ...He is the only surviving family member, her brother...what happens to her home ? does it go automatically to him..They are both French Citizens...

TKenney, Ph.D. :

Hello, in French law the home should go to your husband, but not automatically. Your husband will have to accept the inheritance (the home) and he wiill have to accept to pay all his sister's debts. Your husband can refuse his sister's estate (especially if there is a lot of debt to pay).


Does this process take a long time if there is no will?? Is there an online Will web site for France you would recommend?



TKenney, Ph.D. and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello, the process should not take a long time if there is no will. The French government will give your husband up to 6 months to pay any French taxes (before penalty charges) if any taxes need to be paid. What takes a long time is when the parties do not have the right documents (death certificates, etc...). There is no online service in France for dealing with estates. You will need to get a French lawyer who will contact a Notaire.

Please do not forget to rate positively my answer otherwise I will not get compensated for my work. The general information provided CANNOT replace the personalized advice one can expect of an attorney/client relationship.