T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
46873171

We have no assets, I am a 77+ years old English national and

We have no assets, I am a 77+ years old English national and am now resident in England again. In a 18 month battle with the French tax, they recently drove us from France by freezing our business and personal accounts leaving us zero to live on, not even our UK state pensions. Our French lawyer and accountant agree this was not correct as we were in the middle of a long drawn out dispute. My question: can we just go bankrupt in France, as we don't see why our UK credit cards should be dragged in because of the draconian actions and crazy demands of these people, we've paid as much in fighting it than our side believes we owe. Of course might always has the edge, as they can afford to break rules knowing the resources of most cannot fight back. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear we could do that.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Fran-mod,

Of course take more time say another week then we can review again.

Regards

JS
Thank you!

We will continue to search for a legal professional for you.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do carry on Wendy

Regards

Thank you for your patience while we continue our search.
You can go bankrupt in France, but this will freeze your assets in all EU countries. Creditors act across EU borders as they can act nationally. It just takes a (very) little while longer.
You need to fight the case in administrative court if need be.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you T Perrin C

As we have no assets this issue is not important, but for the moment the preference is just to go bankrupt in France, as fighting is not an option, it costs too much money. I am assuming that in doing this I have no obligation to make any contact with this English bankruptcy courts?

Of course if the French did that would be another issue to deal with. Am I correct in this assumption.

Cheers JS
No. You will need to contact a lawyer in France to help declare you and your business into bankruptcy. But this will not really stop the French Treasury who, depending on the amounts at stake, will go after you anywhere in the EU...
Experience: 8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)