How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask T Perrin C Your Own Question
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
Type Your French Law Question Here...
T Perrin C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi - I have a client is a US resident, French citizen that

This answer was rated:

Hi - I have a client is a US resident, French citizen that obtained a divorce in France. He has to pay his ex-spouse permanent alimony. When he dies, is his current spouse or children responsible for the obligation?
What do you call alimony? Alimony is a concept which does not exist in French law, or at least not like in anglo-saxon law. Does the divorce ruling state "pension alimentaire" or "prestation compensatoire"?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has to pay $10K a month to her under French law. "under French law", his ex can claim a lump sum payment on his death. His obligation to his ex does not end on his death.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

according to him, on his French divorce, he has to pay "alimony".


You need to ascertain what the divorce ruling states in French. However from what you write above, it would seem one is dealing with "prestation compensatoire".
Upon his death it can either be transformed into a lump payment deductible from his estate before his heirs can inherit anything. Or the heirs can offer to continue the monthly payments until the ex-wife dies (seldom done)... If the estate is insolvent, the heirs (his children and/or his current spouse) do not bear the obligation to keep on paying out of their own assets or income.
T Perrin C and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you