How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask T Perrin C Your Own Question
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
Type Your French Law Question Here...
T Perrin C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What paper work do I need to adopt an 8 year old child from

This answer was rated:

What paper work do I need to adopt an 8 year old child from Kenya in France. I want the child to have all the benefits of a European like School and health care. The child has a valid Kenyan passport. She has been abandoned by her family. At the moment I pay for her to go to school in Kenya but we want her to live with us in our family. I am 52 and my husband is 49. I have a 25 year old son that does not live at home. I have a 16 year old daughter who lives at home. I have a lawyer working on things at the Kenyan end. I am a British citizen, my husband is Dutch. We have lived in France for 14years. We both have CDI contracts and work full-time. We intend for the child to attend the local French school to learn french and make French friends and then in the following year she will get a scholarship for an English private school in Paris where I work. both my children did this and having the French is invaluble.

If you are French residents, before you can adopt a child from overseas you need to obtain an adoption license (agréement d'adoption) which can only be granted to you by the Conseil Général of the département in which you live, after quite a few formalities and inquiries by social services, medical services and psychologists. This takes between 6 and 24 months. And this gives you the right to petition to adopt children coming from countries with which France has bilateral adoption agreements. You strictly need to go through an OAA authorized by the French government to process the international adoption procedure in the country of origin. The country of origin has to be a signatory of the Hague treaty. And you cannot "propose" or "choose" yourself the child you will be offered to adopt unless you are blood relatives. You will be offered a match by the French OAA working in the country of origin if any. As of now no OAA operates with Kenya, which makes adoption of Kenyan children by French residents impossible legally.


Unless you have this agréement granted to you, the child will not be allowed onto French territory and adopting without an agréement, or bypassing the OAA procedures, is a criminal offense.

So your first step is to write (in French) to the président du Conseil Général to request an agréement. This will be the start of inquiries.

T Perrin C and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help. Super important information. Very good service.

I am very pleased with my reply.