How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask T Perrin C Your Own Question
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
Type Your French Law Question Here...
T Perrin C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had an notifcation of a fraud. I was recieving RSA

This answer was rated:

I have had an notifcation of a fraud.
I was recieving RSA and child benefit.
I am divorced, I did not declare i was living part time with my(or my relationship with him) boyfriend whilst
renting out my house for summer holidays (income recieved about 6000 per year).
I recieve not financial support from him so did not declare him on the forms.
I did not declare his income as he is not working and has about 2000 in bank.
I have also had to cash in my US Vanguard retirement funds to survive financially (about 14000)
Am awaiting outcome from Monsieur le president of the general council
What would be your question?
Did you declare the rental income?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I did not declare the rental income.

Do you think I will get a fine?

You will probably have to reimburse the RSA received during the period concerned. Then , you may face criminal prosecution. For RSA fraud, the tribunal can impose a fine of up to 375000 euros and up to 5 years in prison. However it is most unlikely that you get sentenced to the maximum.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would I be entitled to a lawyer if faced with criminal prosecution?


you would have to be defended in court. If you cannot afford a lawyer (ie, per law, if you earned less than 9500 € in the last year including all income and welfare payment if you are single), you will be entitled to one through legal aid.
T Perrin C and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou for your response, however I feel it was very general and

not more specific to my situation.

The RSA I owe is about 6.000 so I would hope not to recieve a 5 year

jail sentence or fine of 370000.

The only thing one can give is was is written in the criminal code. What you will get will really depend on whether the CAF and Conseil General decide to sue and then on the judges at the tribunal. For amounts like the one you owe fines can run anywhere from a few hundred euros (on top of immediate repayment of amounts due) up to 20000 euros or three times the amount defrauded. And jail sentences (on probation only) of 6 months to 1 year are not uncommon.