How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask T Perrin C Your Own Question
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  8 years as a Senior judge at Paris Conseil de Prud'hommes (Paris Industrial Tribunal)
Type Your French Law Question Here...
T Perrin C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am planning to get married. My husband-to-be, Paul Rochester

This answer was rated:

i am planning to get married. My husband-to-be, Paul Rochester (d.o.b. 25th September 1957), once got married in the UK in 1983. His wife, Cathrine Halimi (d.o.b. 4th October 1959), to the best of his knowledge, got a divorce in France in his absence several years later. Can you ascertain for me that the divorce definitely took place, without any doubt.
Only your husband to be can do this by requesting the information from his supposedly ex-wife. There is no central registry of divorces. If they had been married in France, one could have requested a copy of the marriage certificate from the town hall registry. In case of a divorce, it is mentioned on the marriage certificate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Getting confirmation from the ex-wife has always seemed like the obvious solution - however, it is not possible. What action can we take to ensure that he would definitely not be committing bigamy by re-marrying?

Quite honestly there is nothing else you can do. This can be done directly or through a lawyer, but this second option will be much costlier. The only other "safe" option would be to petition for divorce in his country of residence, which would force the supposedly ex-wife to come out of the bush...
T Perrin C and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you