How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A.Valcke Your Own Question
A.Valcke, Solicitor
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 740
Experience:  Lawyer with Maîtrise en droit & Licence spéciale en droit européen.
Type Your French Law Question Here...
A.Valcke is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Australian wife is planning to file for divorce. She has

This answer was rated:

My Australian wife is planning to file for divorce. She has had a french passport for nearly 20 years, I am french and our 2 boys are on french passport. We have been resident in the UK for 20 years and the children were born here. We got married 19 years ago in London and the marriage was then registered at the Consulate. Does UK law rule and is she then entitled to 50% of the assets? What are the immediate steps necessary to avoid a long painful process? Best regards.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I'm Ok for you to find the right expert. Rgds

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Thank you for your question.

May I know if you and your wife are in agreement on the terms of your divorce?

I look forward to hearing from you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No. We haven't gone through it in details but there will be disagreement on the split of assets as I generated all the income over 20 years and she never really had a salary.

Thank you for confirming.

I apologise for the delay in responding, but I was taken ill with the arrival of the cold weather.

I can confirm that UK law will apply to your divorce proceedings.

Since you mention that the division of assets is likely to be contested, you would be well advised to instruct a solicitor to assist you.

The court will look at all your assets and also your wife's and children's needs. It will make a decision on (1) how the family assets should be divided and (2) what maintenance award (if any) to make based upon all the evidence.

The starting point for division of the assets is usually 50/50. This includes all assets acquired during the time you were married.

From what you say, I would strongly recommend that you try agreeing a settlement with your wife if at all possible. You may want to ask “Resolution” for assistance. It is a lawyers’ association of family lawyers who can help in mediating a settlement, rather than fighting it out in the courts:

You can also find out more about divorce proceedings in the UK on these websites:

I hope this answers your question.

If you are happy with my service, I kindly ask you to rate it positively so that I can be compensated for my time and my service without any extra charge to you on top of the amount you have already deposited with the website. A bonus would be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up question.

Kind regards

A.Valcke, Solicitor
Category: French Law
Satisfied Customers: 740
Experience: Lawyer with Maîtrise en droit & Licence spéciale en droit européen.
A.Valcke and other French Law Specialists are ready to help you