French Law

Have French law questions? Ask a French lawyer now.

An English friend of mine is a major creditor of a French company…

An English friend of mine...
An English friend of mine is a major creditor of a French company which is now in liquidation in France. She failed to give details of her debt to the liquidator within the four month period allowed. I understand that, in certain circumstances, the time limit can be extended by the Insolvency Judge. I saw a reference in a textbook to Article 66 of French decree dated December 27 1985. Where could I find a copy of Article 66; is it relevant; and is it still in force?

Many thanks - all help much appreciated.

Michael Kennedy
3/24/2011
T Perrin C
T Perrin C, Consultant: information en droit du travail
This article was abrogated by Décret n°2005-1677 du 28 décembre 2005 - art. 354 JORF 29 décembre 2005 en vigueur le 1er janvier 2006. It is not applicable any more. All articles of French law can be found on www.legifrance.com. Your friend, may have the time limit extended if she can prove the publicity formalities regarding the liquidation were not done properly.
T Perrin C

Many thanks. So is the position that there is no longer any specific article of French law upon which my friend can rely but she must instead rely on general legal principles if there has been a breach of the publicity formalities (for example, the liquidator failed to give known creditors notice)?

Sorry to trouble you further!

Michael Kennedy.

This does not change things much as an extension was only granted if the claimant could prove that he had good reasons for not filing in his/her detailed claim within the legal time frame. Which the claimant can still do. For example if the liquidator famed to give known creditors notice f those creditor were reachable at the address appearing on due invoices. Yet this does not automatically exempt the creditor from filing his/her claim as he/she is considered to have been informed once the liquidation procedure is published officially in a registered "annonces légales" publication....
T Perrin C