French Law

Have French law questions? Ask a French lawyer now.

I am a Malawian with a wife and two children who has worked…

Customer Question
I am a Malawian with...
I am a Malawian with a wife and two children who has worked for ExxonMobil and TOTAL for 16 years, I have been based in France for the past 5 years (This is my Sixth year) working for TOTAL. I have purchased a property in France (Paris) this year.

My plan is to go back home this year but would like to know if there is a possibility of my children applying for French citizenship and while I want to go home is there a way to ensure easy access to France with a Malawian Passport (obtaining visas is not very easy).
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: French Law
3/23/2011
Barrister: TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour) replied 7 years ago
TKenney, Ph.D.
TKenney, Ph.D., French Attorney (Avocat à la Cour)

TKenney, Ph.D. :

To obtain French nationality one has to be a resident in France for at least 5 years. Minor children of parents asking for French nationality can obtain French nationality with their parents.

Customer:

How long would the process take once initiated

Customer:

Hi are you still on-line

TKenney, Ph.D.
I would like more information on my options, timing and process in this regard, how do I proceed? many thanks.
The time is takes to obtain French nationality depends on the time it takes you to collect all the documents proviing your 5 years in France and the after submitting your complete files, it can take from 12 to 18 months depending on the case (even longer). Each case is different. You must be residing in France when you file. You must have a good level of the French language. You must contact the Prefecture or Sous -Préfecture of your jurisdiction to obtain the application. In Paris on can get the application from the website of the Prefecture de Police. http://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/content/download/3026/16228/file/acquisition.pdf
Do I have to be resident after filing, would your firm be able to act on our behalf in this regard and advise accordingly?
Yes, you have to be a resident while filing.

I am a French lawyer and I would be more than willing to help you sort out your legal problem. However, the policy of JustAnswer does not permit me to help you.

Section C, article 8, paragraph 3 of the JustAnswer's Terms of Service entitled "Restricted Activities" provides the following: "You are prohibited from soliciting Users of this Site, including Experts, for any purpose (including inviting other Users to contact you off of the Site or inviting Users to participate in a website that competes with JustAnswer or the Site or charges money to receive answers or to communicate with purported Experts or specialists)."

As much as I would love to help you out personally, I respect the JustAnswer policies.